The Changing Global Geography of Low-Technology, Labor-Intensive Industry: Clothing, Footwear, and Furniture
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Romer, Paul M, 1986. "Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-1037, October.
- Rabellotti, Roberta, 1999. "Recovery of a Mexican Cluster: Devaluation Bonanza or Collective Efficiency?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1571-1585, September.
- McAleese, Dermot & McDonald, Donogh, 1978. "Employment Growth and the Development of Linkages in Foreign-Owned and Domestic Manufacturing Enterprises," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 40(4), pages 321-339, November.
- Peter Dicken & Markus Hassler, 2000. "Organizing the Indonesian clothing industry in the global economy: the role of business networks," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 32(2), pages 263-280, February.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1998. "Exports of Manufactures by Developing Countries: Emerging Patterns of Trade and Location," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 54-73, Summer.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael & Morris, Mike & Readman, Jeff, 2002. "The Globalization of Product Markets and Immiserizing Growth: Lessons From the South African Furniture Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1159-1177, July.
- Edward E Leamer & Michael Storper, 2001. "The Economic Geography of the Internet Age," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 32(4), pages 641-665, December.
- Brad Christerson, 1997. "The Third China? Emerging industrial districts in rural China," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(4), pages 569-588, December.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1998. "Erratum: Exports of Manufactures by Developing Countries: Emerging Patterns of Trade and Location," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(3), pages 168-168, Autumn.
- J D Lim, 1994. "Restructuring of the Footwear Industry and the Industrial Adjustment of the Pusan Economy," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 26(4), pages 567-581, April.
- Jennifer Bair, 2002. "Beyond the Maquila Model? Nafta and the Mexican Apparel Industry," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 203-225.
- Berry, Albert & Rodriguez, Edgard & Sandee, Henry, 2002. "Firm and Group Dynamics in the Small and Medium Enterprise Sector in Indonesia," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 18(1-3), pages 141-161, Feb.- May.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2005.
"Outsourcing in a Global Economy,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(1), pages 135-159.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 2002. "Outsourcing in a Global Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 3165, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Outsourcing in a Global Economy," Working Papers 149, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Discussion Papers in Economics.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 2002. "Outsourcing in a Global Economy," Papers 218, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Outsourcing in a Global Economy?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1966, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Outsourcing in a Global Economy," NBER Working Papers 8728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene M. & Helpman, Elhanan, 2005. "Outsourcing in a Global Economy," Scholarly Articles 25586654, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Norma Rantisi, 2002. "The Local Innovation System as a Source of 'Variety': Openness and Adaptability in New York City's Garment District," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(6), pages 587-602.
- Eiji Yamamura & Tetsushi Sonobe & Keijiro Otsuka, 2003. "Human capital, cluster formation, and international relocation: the case of the garment industry in Japan, 1968--98," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 37-56, January.
- Allen J. Scott & Michael Storper, 2007. "Regions, Globalization, Development," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(sup1), pages 191-205.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998.
"Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, "undated". "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Eike W Schamp, 2005. "Decline of the district, renewal of firms: an evolutionary approach to footwear production in the Pirmasens area, Germany," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 37(4), pages 617-634, April.
- Doris Hanzl-Weiß, 2004. "Enlargement and the Textiles, Clothing and Footwear Industry," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(6), pages 923-945, June.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1979.
"Vertical Integration in Competitive Markets under Uncertainty,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 189-209, March.
- D. W. Carlton, 1976. "Vertical Integration in Competitive Markets Under Uncertainty," Working papers 174, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Chari, Sharad, 2000. "The Agrarian Origins of the Knitwear Industrial Cluster in Tiruppur, India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 579-599, March.
- Tewari, Meenu, 1999. "Successful Adjustment in Indian Industry: the Case of Ludhiana's Woolen Knitwear Cluster," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1651-1671, September.
- Gibbon, Peter, 2001. "Upgrading Primary Production: A Global Commodity Chain Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 345-363, February.
- Hsing, You-tien, 1999. "Trading companies in Taiwan's fashion shoe networks," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 101-120, June.
- Alwyn Young, 1995. "The Tyranny of Numbers: Confronting the Statistical Realities of the East Asian Growth Experience," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(3), pages 641-680.
- Stella Lowder, 1999. "Globalisation of the Footwear Industry: A Simple Case of Labour?," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 90(1), pages 47-60, February.
- Visser, Evert-jan, 1999. "A Comparison of Clustered and Dispersed Firms in the Small-Scale Clothing Industry of Lima," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1553-1570, September.
- Allen J. Scott, 2005. "The shoe industry of Marikina City, Philippines: a developing country cluster in crisis," Urban/Regional 0511003, EconWPA.
- John Humphrey & Hubert Schmitz, 2002. "How does insertion in global value chains affect upgrading in industrial clusters?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1017-1027.
- Jürgen Essletzbichler & David L Rigby, 2001. "Industrial and regional restructuring in the US women's dress industry, 1963 - 92," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 33(8), pages 1385-1410, August.
- Schmitz, Hubert, 1999. "From ascribed to earned trust in exporting clusters," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 139-150, June.
- J D Lim, 1994. "Restructuring of the footwear industry and the industrial adjustment of the Pusan economy," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 26(4), pages 567-581, April.
- Cawthorne, Pamela M., 1995. "Of networks and markets: The rise and rise of a South Indian town, the example of Tiruppur's cotton knitwear industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 43-56, January.
- James E. Rauch, 2001. "Business and Social Networks in International Trade," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1177-1203, December.
- Shafaeddin, S. M., 2004. "Is China's accession to WTO threatening exports of developing countries?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 109-144, January.
- Knorringa, Peter, 1999. "Agra: An Old Cluster Facing the New Competition," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1587-1604, September.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
- Egan, Mary Lou & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "Buyer-seller links in export development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 321-334, March.
- Richard P. Appelbaum, 1997. "Cheap Labor Strategies and Export-Oriented Industrialization: Some Lessons from the Los Angeles/East Asia Apparel Connection," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 202-217, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Molnár, Ernő & Lengyel, István Máté, 2016. "Understanding the Changing Geography of Labour-Intensive Industries from a GPN Perspective: Case Study of the Hungarian Leather and Footwear Sector," MPRA Paper 73944, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hu, Zheng & Hu, Zhaoguang, 2013. "Production function with electricity consumption and its applications," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 313-321.
- Florentina Constantin & Giovanna Giusti & Giuseppe Tattara, 2010.
"Strategies of Italian Firms in Romania: Evidence from Selected Case Studies,"
Transition Studies Review,
Springer;Central Eastern European University Network (CEEUN), vol. 16(4), pages 829-847, February.
- Tattara, Giuseppe & Constantin, Florentina & De Giusti, Giovanna, 2009. "Strategies of Italian firms in Romania. Evidence from selected case studies," MPRA Paper 17765, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nakhoda, Aadil, 2013. "The impact of the exports of BRIC countries plus Turkey on the exports of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 52477, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francisco Puig & Belen Garcia-Mora & Cristina Santamaria, 2011. "Survival of the firm and territory," ERSA conference papers ersa11p197, European Regional Science Association.
- repec:bla:growch:v:48:y:2017:i:2:p:214-232 is not listed on IDEAS
- Huasheng Zhu & Xue Huang & Qingcan He & Jie Li & Lingzhi Ren, 2016. "Sustaining Competitiveness: Moving Towards Upstream Manufacturing in Specialized-Market-Based Clusters in the Chinese Toy Industry," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 8(2), pages 1-19, February.
- Yochanan Shachmurove, 2007. "Geography and Industry Meets Venture Capital," PIER Working Paper Archive 07-015, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2010.
"Choosing between foreign investment and subcontracting: Strategies of Italian firms in Romania,"
23787, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2011. "Choosing between foreign investment and subcontracting: Strategies of Italian firms in Romania," MPRA Paper 29174, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:spr:manint:v:54:y:2014:i:5:d:10.1007_s11575-014-0209-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kevin P. Heanue, 2008. "Measuring Industrial Agglomeration in a Rural Industry: The Case of Irish Furniture Manufacturing," Working Papers 0830, Rural Economy and Development Programme,Teagasc.
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:8:y:2016:i:2:p:176:d:64020 is not listed on IDEAS
- Harris, John, 2014. "The Messy Reality of Agglomeration Economies in Urban Informality: Evidence from Nairobi’s Handicraft Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 102-113.
- Lila Truett & Dale Truett, 2014. "A ray of hope? Another look at the Italian textile industry," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 525-542, March.
- Navas-Alemán, Lizbeth, 2011. "The Impact of Operating in Multiple Value Chains for Upgrading: The Case of the Brazilian Furniture and Footwear Industries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1386-1397, August.
- Feldman, Maryann P. & Kogler, Dieter F., 2010. "Stylized Facts in the Geography of Innovation," Handbook of the Economics of Innovation, Elsevier.
- Maria Tsiapa, 2014. "Industrial Growth In The Integrated European Economic Space," Organizations and Markets in Emerging Economies, Faculty of Economics, Vilnius University, vol. 5(2).
- Lizbeth Navas-Alemán & Carlo Pietrobelli & Marco Kamiya, 2012. "Inter-Firm Linkages and Finance in Value Chains," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 4067, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Kearney, Colm, 2012. "Emerging markets research: Trends, issues and future directions," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 159-183.
- Salvador Vivas-López & Francisco Puig & Victor Oltra & Miguel González-Loureiro, 2016. "Globalized Markets and Startup Dynamics in Mature Manufacturing Industries," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer;Portland International Center for Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET), vol. 7(4), pages 947-962, December.
- Truett, Lila J. & Truett, Dale B., 2010. "Globalization challenges for the Mexican textile industry," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 733-741, October.
- Marisa Cesário & Maria Teresa de Noronha Vaz, 2012. "Technological adjustments in the textile, clothes and leather industries: an alternative pathway for competitiveness," Chapters,in: Entrepreneurship, Social Capital and Governance, chapter 14, pages 325-357 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Tan, Justin & Shao, Yunfei & Li, Wan, 2013. "To be different, or to be the same? An exploratory study of isomorphism in the cluster," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 83-97.
- Bertacchini Enrico & Borrione Paola, 2009. "The city mouse and the country mouse: the geography of creativity and cultural production in Italy," EBLA Working Papers 200902, University of Turin.
- Murphy, James T., 2007. "The Challenge of Upgrading in African Industries: Socio-Spatial Factors and the Urban Environment in Mwanza, Tanzania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1754-1778, October.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:34:y:2006:i:9:p:1517-1536. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.