Innovation and Relationships in an Organized Indutrial District: Ankara Sincan Industrial District
Organized Industrial Districts are important regional development tools that have been extensively utilized by the Turkish authorities as part of Turkish industrialization program, with varying degrees of success. The empirical part of the study is carried out in Ankara, Sincan Industrial district. The study investigates the intra- and inter-firm relationships, and its possible implications for firm level innovation activity. In the first stage of this study, the purpose is to explore vertical I/O (input-ouput) interfirm links and social relations. For this end, a survey is employed to 86 firms engaging in machinery and equipment sector. 79 firms reported innovation activity. In the second stage, the target is to reveal the determinants of innovative activities. Two general findings are noteworthy. First, the existing interfirm relations and other social relations are not well-established for achieving successful innovations rather they hinder the possibilities for success. Second, the determinants of product and process innovations are different as envisaged at the beginning of the study.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:||Aug 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ankara 06531|
Phone: +90 (312) 210 2003
Fax: (312) 210 1244
Web page: http://www.stps.metu.edu.tr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nadvi, Khalid, 1999. "Collective Efficiency and Collective Failure: The Response of the Sialkot Surgical Instrument Cluster to Global Quality Pressures," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1605-1626, September.
- Hillebrand, Bas & Biemans, Wim G., 2003. "The relationship between internal and external cooperation: literature review and propositions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(9), pages 735-743, September.
- Meyer-Stamer, Jorg, 1998. "Path dependence in regional development: Persistence and change in three industrial clusters in Santa Catarina, Brazil," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1495-1511, August.
- Hubert Schmitz, 2000. "Does Local Co-operation Matter? Evidence from Industrial Clusters in South Asia and Latin America," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(3), pages 323-336.
- Ritter, Thomas & Gemunden, Hans Georg, 2003. "Network competence: Its impact on innovation success and its antecedents," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(9), pages 745-755, September.
- Rabellotti, Roberta, 1999. "Recovery of a Mexican Cluster: Devaluation Bonanza or Collective Efficiency?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1571-1585, September.
- Schmitz, Hubert, 1999. "Global Competition and Local Cooperation: Success and Failure in the Sinos Valley, Brazil," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1627-1650, September.
- Tewari, Meenu, 1999. "Successful Adjustment in Indian Industry: the Case of Ludhiana's Woolen Knitwear Cluster," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1651-1671, September.
- John Humphrey & Hubert Schmitz, 1998. "Trust and inter-firm relations in developing and transition economies," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 32-61.
- Roberta Rabellotti & Hubert Schmitz, 1999. "The Internal Heterogeneity of Industrial Districts in Italy, Brazil and Mexico," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 97-108.
- Knorringa, Peter, 1999. "Agra: An Old Cluster Facing the New Competition," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1587-1604, September.
- Visser, Evert-jan, 1999. "A Comparison of Clustered and Dispersed Firms in the Small-Scale Clothing Industry of Lima," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1553-1570, September.
- Altenburg, Tilman & Meyer-Stamer, JORG, 1999. "How to Promote Clusters: Policy Experiences from Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1693-1713, September.
- Carlo Pietrobelli & Tatiana Olarte Barrera, 2002. "Enterprise Clusters and Industrial Districts in Colombia's Fashion Sector†," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 541-562, July.
- Peter Maskell & Mark Lorenzen, 2003. "The Cluster as Market Organization," DRUID Working Papers 03-14, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Wilkinson, Ian & Young, Louise, 2002. "On cooperating: firms, relations and networks," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 123-132, February.
- Mccormick, Dorothy, 1999. "African Enterprise Clusters and Industrialization: Theory and Reality," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1531-1551, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:met:stpswp:0802. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Semih Akcomak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.