Global Value Chains Meet Innovation Systems : Are There Learning Opportunities for Developing Countries?
This paper addresses two research questions: How do learning mechanisms operate in different types of global value chains? What is the supporting role of the innovation system in GVC-driven learning and innovation processes? Empirical evidence is used from the authors' research as well as secondary sources. Given the highly differentiated reality behind the sketchy and simplistic term "developing countries," the paper focuses on a particular group of middle-income developing countries: Brazil, Taiwan and Mexico.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/publications/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea Morrison & Carlo Pietrobelli & Roberta Rabellotti, 2006. "Global Value Chains and Technological Capabilities: A Framework to Study Industrial Innovation in Developing Countries," KITeS Working Papers 192, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Dec 2006.
- Freeman, Chris, 1995. "The 'National System of Innovation' in Historical Perspective," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 5-24, February.
- Dieter Ernst, 2000.
"Global Production Networks and the Changing Geography of Innovation Systems: Implications for Developing Countries,"
Economics Study Area Working Papers
09, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Dieter Ernst, 2002. "Global production networks and the changing geography of innovation systems. Implications for developing countries," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 497-523.
- Sako, Mari & Helper, Susan, 1998. "Determinants of trust in supplier relations: Evidence from the automotive industry in Japan and the United States," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 387-417, March.
- Hubert Schmitz & Simone Strambach, 2009. "The organisational decomposition of innovation and global distribution of innovative activities: insights and research agenda," International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(4), pages 231-249.
- Saxenian, AnnaLee & Hsu, Jinn-Yuh, 2001. "The Silicon Valley-Hsinchu Connection: Technical Communities and Industrial Upgrading," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 893-920, December.
- John Humphrey & Hubert Schmitz, 2002. "How does insertion in global value chains affect upgrading in industrial clusters?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1017-1027.
- Sanjaya Lall & Carlo Pietrobelli, 2002. "Failing to Compete," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 2360.
- Carlo Pietrobelli, 2008. "Global value chains in the least developed countries of the world: threats and opportunities for local producers," International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(4), pages 459-481.
- Bell, Martin & Albu, Michael, 1999. "Knowledge Systems and Technological Dynamism in Industrial Clusters in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1715-1734, September.
- Joachim Wagner, 2007.
"Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence from Firm-level Data,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 60-82, 01.
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence fro Firm Level Data," International Trade 0504005, EconWPA.
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports and Productivity: A survey of the evidence from firm level data," Working Paper Series in Economics 4, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2005. "Exports and Productivity : A survey of the evidence from firm level data," HWWA Discussion Papers 319, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Timothy J. Sturgeon, 2003. "What really goes on in Silicon Valley? Spatial clustering and dispersal in modular production networks," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(2), pages 199-225, April.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
- Intarakumnerd, Patarapong & Chairatana, Pun-arj & Tangchitpiboon, Tipawan, 2002. "National innovation system in less successful developing countries: the case of Thailand," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1445-1457, December.
- Carlsson, Bo, 2006. "Internationalization of innovation systems: A survey of the literature," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 56-67, February.
- Elisa Giuliani & Carlo Pietrobelli & Roberta Rabellotti, 2004.
"Upgrading in global value chains: lessons from latin american clusters,"
72, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Giuliani, Elisa & Pietrobelli, Carlo & Rabellotti, Roberta, 2005. "Upgrading in Global Value Chains: Lessons from Latin American Clusters," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 549-573, April.
- Tewari, Meenu, 1999. "Successful Adjustment in Indian Industry: the Case of Ludhiana's Woolen Knitwear Cluster," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1651-1671, September.
- Michiko Iizuka, 2009. "â€˜Low-techâ€™ industry: a new path for development? The case of the salmon farming industry in Chile," Chapters, in: Sectoral Systems of Innovation and Production in Developing Countries, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Metcalfe, J S, 1995. "Technology Systems and Technology Policy in an Evolutionary Framework," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 25-46, February.
- Altenburg, Tilman & Schmitz, Hubert & Stamm, Andreas, 2008. "Breakthrough China's and India's Transition from Production to Innovation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 325-344, February.
- Simone Strambach, 2010. "Knowledge-Intensive Business Services (KIBS)," Chapters, in: Platforms of Innovation, chapter 7 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Martin Hess & Henry Wai-Chung Yeung, 2006. "Whither global production networks in economic geography? Past, present, and future," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 38(7), pages 1193-1204, July.
- Rabellotti, Roberta, 1999. "Recovery of a Mexican Cluster: Devaluation Bonanza or Collective Efficiency?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1571-1585, September.
- Bengt-Ã¥ke Lundvall & Jan Vang & K.J. Joseph, 2009. "Innovation System Research and Developing Countries," Chapters, in: Handbook of Innovation Systems and Developing Countries, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Neil M. Coe & Neil Wrigley, 2007. "Host economy impacts of transnational retail: the research agenda," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(4), pages 341-371, July.
- Paolo Guerrieri & Simona Iammarino & Carlo Pietrobelli (ed.), 2001. "The Global Challenge to Industrial Districts," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 2422.
- Ponte, Stefano & Ewert, Joachim, 2009. "Which Way is "Up" in Upgrading? Trajectories of Change in the Value Chain for South African Wine," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 1637-1650, October.
- R. Kaplinsky, 2000. "Globalisation and Unequalisation: What Can Be Learned from Value Chain Analysis?," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 117-146.
- Ponte, Stefano & Ewert, Joachim, 2009. "Corrigendum to "Which Way is ''Up" in Upgrading? Trajectories of Change in the Value Chain for South African Wine" [World Development 37 (2009) 1637-1650]," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 1964-1964, December.
- Carlo Pietrobelli & Federica Saliola, 2007. "Power Relationships along the Value Chain: Multinational Firms, Global Buyers, and Local Suppliers' Performance," Working Papers 0702, CREI Università degli Studi Roma Tre, revised Jan 2007.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:brikps:11098. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.