Are the Emerging Economies a Threat to the Italian Competitiveness?
This work deals with the issue of the Italy’s competitiveness in relation to the trade dynamism and performance of the new emerging Southern economies: China, India, Brazil, and South Africa (Cibs). Having examined trade patterns, main competitors and trade specialization of the countries analyzed, we go on to perform Cluster Analysis to capture the entire set of trade complementarities and specializations of the global trading system. The empirical results contribute to partially mitigating the pessimistic view that sees evolution of the emerging economies’ trade specialization as a potential threat to our country, with the significant exception of China.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.aspEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mahvash Saeed Qureshi & Guanghua Wan, 2008.
"Trade Expansion of China and India: Threat or Opportunity?,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(10), pages 1327-1350, October.
- Qureshi, M.S. & Wan, Guanghua, 2008. "Trade Expansion of China and India: Threat or Opportunity," Working Paper Series RP2008/08, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Andrea Goldstein & Nicolas Pinaud & Helmut Reisen, 2006. "The Rise of China and India: What's in it for Africa?," OECD Development Centre Policy Insights 19, OECD Publishing.
- Andrea Brasili & Paolo Epifani & Rodolfo Helg, 2000.
"On the Dynamics of Trade Patterns,"
- Andrea Brasili & Paolo Epifani & Rodolfo Helg, 2000. "On the Dynamics of Trade Patterns," KITeS Working Papers 115, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2000.
- Andrea Brasili & Paolo Epifani & Rodolfo Helg, 1999. "On the dynamics of trade patterns," LIUC Papers in Economics 61, Cattaneo University (LIUC).
- L. Alan Winters & Shahid Yusuf, 2007. "Dancing with the Giants: China, India, and the Global Economy," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6632.
- Pierluigi Montalbano & Silvia Nenci, 2014.
"The Trade Competitiveness of Southern Emerging Economies: A Multidimensional Approach Through Cluster Analysis,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(6), pages 783-810, 06.
- Silvia Nenci & Pierluigi Montalbano, 2011. "Trade patterns and trade clusters: China, India, Brazil and South Africa in the global trading," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0125, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Mahvash Saeed Qureshi & Charalambos G. Tsangarides, 2006.
"What is Fuzzy About Clustering in West Africa?,"
IMF Working Papers
06/90, International Monetary Fund.
- Tsangarides, Charalambos G. & Qureshi, Mahvash Saeed, 2008. "Monetary Union Membership in West Africa: A Cluster Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1261-1279, July.
- Shafaeddin, S. M., 2004. "Is China's accession to WTO threatening exports of developing countries?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 109-144, January.
- Dmitri Boreiko, 2003. "EMU and accession countries: Fuzzy cluster analysis of membership," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 309-325.
- Stefano Chiarlone, 2000. "Evidence of Product Differentiation and Relative Quality in Italian Trade," KITeS Working Papers 114, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2000.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael & Morris, Mike, 2008. "Do the Asian Drivers Undermine Export-oriented Industrialization in SSA," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 254-273, February.
- Jorge Blázquez-Lidoy & Javier Rodríguez & Javier Santiso, 2006. "Angel or Devil? China's Trade Impact on Latin American Emerging Markets," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 252, OECD Publishing.
- Epifani Paolo, 1999. "Sulle determinanti del modello di specializzazione internazionale dell'Italia," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 195-224.
- Nenci, Silvia, 2008. "The Rise of the Southern Economies: Implications for the WTO-Multilateral Trading System," Working Paper Series RP2008/10, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Piazolo, Daniel, 1997. "Trade Integration between Eastern and Western Europe: Policies Follow the Market," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 12, pages 259-297.
- Alessia Amighini & Stefano Chiarlone, 2005. "Rischi dell'integrazione commerciale cinese per il modello di specializzazione internazionale dell'Italia," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 95(4), pages 63-86, July-Augu.
- Luca De Benedictis, 2005. "Three Decades of Italian Comparative Advantages," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(11), pages 1679-1709, November.
- repec:rie:review:v:4:y:1999:i:2:n:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- McDonald, Scott & Robinson, Sherman & Thierfelder, Karen, 2008. "Asian Growth and Trade Poles: India, China, and East and Southeast Asia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 210-234, February.
- De Nardis, Sergio & Pensa, Cristina, 2004. "How Intense is Competition in International Markets of Traditional Goods? The Case of Italian Exporters," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 57(3), pages 275-304.
- L. Montalbano & S. Nenci, 2010. "The CIBS Trade Specialization: Opportunity or Threat?," Working Papers Prin 017, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Bent Dalum & Keld Laursen & Gert Villumsen, 1998. "Structural Change in OECD Export Specialisation Patterns: de-specialisation and 'stickiness'," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 423-443.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0225. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.