How Costly is it for Poor Farmers to Lift Themselves out of Subsistence?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Olivier Cadot & Laure Dutoit & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2005. "How Costly is it for Poor Farmers to Lift Themselves out of Subsistence?," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 05.09, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
References listed on IDEAS
- Dorosh, Paul A. & Stifel, David & Minten, Bart, 2003. "Transaction costs and agricultural productivity," MSSD discussion papers 56, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Richard Baldwin, 1989. "Sunk-Cost Hysteresis," NBER Working Papers 2911, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Owen, Robert F & Ulph, David, 2002.
"Sunk Costs, Market Access, Economic Integration and Welfare,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 539-555, August.
- William J. Baumol & Robert D. Willig, 1981. "Fixed Costs, Sunk Costs, Entry Barriers, and Sustainability of Monopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(3), pages 405-431.
- repec:wsi:wschap:9789813108448_0004 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stephen Martin, 2002. "Sunk Cost and Entry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 20(4), pages 291-304, June.
- Margaret McMillan & Dani Rodrik & Karen Horn Welch, 2002. "When Economic Reform Goes Wrong: Cashews in Mozambique," NBER Working Papers 9117, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McMillan, Margaret & Rodrik, Dani & Welch, Karen Horn, 2002. "When Economic Reform Goes Wrong: Cashews in Mozambique," Working Paper Series rwp02-028, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Horn Welch, Karen & McMillan, Margaret & Rodrik, Dani, 2002. "When Economic Reform Goes Wrong: Cashews in Mozambique," CEPR Discussion Papers 3519, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Silber, William L, 1974. "The Market for Federal Agency Securities: Is There an Optimum Size of Issue?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(1), pages 14-22, February.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 1997. "Food marketing liberalization and trader entry: Evidence from Madagascar," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 763-777, May.
- Porto, Guido G., 2005. "Informal export barriers and poverty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 447-470, July.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul Krugman, 1989. "Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchange Rate Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(4), pages 635-654.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul R. Krugman, 1986. "Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchage Rate Shocks," NBER Working Papers 2017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dani Rodrik, 1992. "The Limits of Trade Policy Reform in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 87-105, Winter.
- Michael Lokshin & Zurab Sajaia, 2004. "Maximum likelihood estimation of endogenous switching regression models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(3), pages 282-289, September.
- Irene Brambilla & Guido G. Porto, 2005. "Farm Productivity and Market Structure. Evidence From Cotton Reforms in Zambia," Working Papers 919, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1979. "Identification and Estimation in Binary Choice Models with Limited (Censored) Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 977-996, July.
- Sivadasan Jagadeesh, 2009. "Barriers to Competition and Productivity: Evidence from India," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-66, September.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 2000. "Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 575-604, May.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989. "Entry and Exit Decisions under Uncertainty," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 620-638, June.
- Roberts, Mark J & Tybout, James R, 1997. "The Decision to Export in Colombia: An Empirical Model of Entry with Sunk Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 545-564, September.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2007. "Market Entry Costs, Producer Heterogeneity, and Export Dynamics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(3), pages 837-873, May.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2001. "Market entry costs, producer heterogeneity and export dynamics," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 03-10, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2001. "Market Entry Costs, Producer Heterogeneity, and Export Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 8629, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de Janvry, Alain & Fafchamps, Marcel & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 1991. "Peasant Household Behaviour with Missing Markets: Some Paradoxes Explained," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(409), pages 1400-1417, November.
- Hotchkiss, Julie L, 1991. "The Definition of Part-Time Employment: A Switching Regression Model with Unknown Sample Selection," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(4), pages 899-917, November.
- Steven J. Matusz & David G. Tarr, 2017. "Adjusting To Trade Policy Reform," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Trade Policies for Development and Transition, chapter 4, pages 77-114 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Narayanan, Sudha, 2014. "Profits from participation in high value agriculture: Evidence of heterogeneous benefits in contract farming schemes in Southern India," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 142-157.
- Ebata, Ayako & Velasco, Pamela & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2015. "Distance to market and farm-gate prices of staple beans in rural Nicaragua," Discussion Papers 197540, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Tigist Mekonnen Melesse, 2015. "Agricultural Technology Adoption and Market Participation under Learning Externality: Impact Evaluation on Small-scale Agriculture from Rural Ethiopia," Working Papers 2015/06, Maastricht School of Management.
- Mekonnen, Tigist, 2017. "Impact of agricultural technology adoption on market participation in the rural social network system," MERIT Working Papers 008, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
More about this item
Keywordsentry costs; Madagascar; subsistence; switching regression; threshold regression; unknown sample separation;
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- O12 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O19 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2006-01-24 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2006-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2006-01-24 (Development)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:5392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.