How Costly is it for Poor Farmers to Lift Themselves out of Subsistence?
The main objective of this paper is to provide estimates of the cost of moving out of subsistence for Madagascar's farmers. The analysis is based on a simple asset-return model of occupational choice. Estimates suggest that the entry (sunk) cost associated with moving out of subsistence can be quite large somewhere between 124 and 153 percent of a subsistence farmer's annual production. Our results make it possible to identify farm characteristics likely to generate large gains if moved out of subsistence, yielding useful information for the targeting of trade-adjustment assistance programs.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989.
"Entry and Exit Decisions under Uncertainty,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 620-38, June.
- Richard Baldwin, 1989. "Sunk-Cost Hysteresis," NBER Working Papers 2911, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de Janvry, Alain & Fafchamps, Marcel & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 1991. "Peasant Household Behaviour with Missing Markets: Some Paradoxes Explained," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(409), pages 1400-417, November.
- Roberts, Mark J & Tybout, James R, 1997. "The Decision to Export in Colombia: An Empirical Model of Entry with Sunk Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 545-64, September.
- Michael Lokshin & Zurab Sajaia, 2004. "Maximum likelihood estimation of endogenous switching regression models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(3), pages 282-289, September.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1979. "Identification and Estimation in Binary Choice Models with Limited (Censored) Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 977-96, July.
- Horn Welch, Karen & McMillan, Margaret & Rodrik, Dani, 2002.
"When Economic Reform Goes Wrong: Cashews in Mozambique,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3519, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- McMillan, Margaret & Rodrik, Dani & Welch, Karen Horn, 2002. "When Economic Reform Goes Wrong: Cashews in Mozambique," Working Paper Series rwp02-028, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Margaret McMillan & Dani Rodrik & Karen Horn Welch, 2002. "When Economic Reform Goes Wrong: Cashews in Mozambique," NBER Working Papers 9117, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul R. Krugman, 1986.
"Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchage Rate Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
2017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Richard & Krugman, Paul, 1989. "Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchange Rate Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 635-54, November.
- Silber, William L, 1974. "The Market for Federal Agency Securities: Is There an Optimum Size of Issue?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(1), pages 14-22, February.
- Porto, Guido G., 2004.
"Informal export barriers and poverty,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3354, The World Bank.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 1997. "Food marketing liberalization and trader entry: Evidence from Madagascar," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 763-777, May.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 2000.
"Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 575-604, May.
- Matusz, Steven J. & Tarr, David, 1999. "Adjusting to trade policy reform," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2142, The World Bank.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2001.
"Market Entry Costs, Producer Heterogeneity, and Export Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
8629, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2007. "Market Entry Costs, Producer Heterogeneity, and Export Dynamics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(3), pages 837-873, 05.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2001. "Market entry costs, producer heterogeneity and export dynamics," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 03-10, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Dorosh, Paul A. & Stifel, David & Minten, Bart, 2003. "Transaction costs and agricultural productivity," MSSD discussion papers 56, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Vakis, Renos & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain, 2003.
"Measuring transactions costs from observed behavior : market choices in Peru,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
962, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Vakis, Renos & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain, 2003. "Measuring Transactions Costs from Observed Behavior: Market Choices in Peru," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt7p81h66q, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Hotchkiss, Julie L, 1991. "The Definition of Part-Time Employment: A Switching Regression Model with Unknown Sample Selection," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(4), pages 899-917, November.
- Dani Rodrik, 1992. "The Limits of Trade Policy Reform in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 87-105, Winter.
- Irene Brambilla & Guido G. Porto, 2005. "Farm Productivity and Market Structure. Evidence From Cotton Reforms in Zambia," Working Papers 919, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Stephen Martin, 2002. "Sunk Cost and Entry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 291-304, June.
- Owen, Robert F & Ulph, David, 2002. "Sunk Costs, Market Access, Economic Integration and Welfare," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 539-55, August.
- Sivadasan Jagadeesh, 2009. "Barriers to Competition and Productivity: Evidence from India," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-66, September.
- Baumol, William J & Willig, Robert D, 1981. "Fixed Costs, Sunk Costs, Entry Barriers, and Sustainability of Monopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 96(3), pages 405-31, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:5392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.