Price Competition and Market Structure: The Impact of Cartel Policy on Concentration in the UK
This paper examines the impact of firms' conduct on market structure. It studies the evolution of concentration in UK manufacturing following the abolition of cartels using a theoretical framework based on Sutton's theory of market structure and a panel data set of four-digit industries over 1958-1977. The econometric results suggest that the intensity of price competition has a positive impact on concentration in exogenous sunk cost industries as well as in advertising-intensive and R&D-intensive industries. The concentration-market size relationship, while negative in exogenous sunk cost industries, breaks down in industries with high advertising or R&D intensity.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sleuwaegen, Leo & Yamawaki, Hideki, 1988. "The formation of the European Common Market and changes in market structure and performance," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1451-1475, September.
- Vickers, John, 1989. "The nature of costs and the number of firms at cournot equilibrium," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 503-509, December.
- Davies, Stephen, 1980. "Minimum Efficient Size and Seller Concentration: An Empirical Problem," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(3), pages 287-301, March.
- Waldman, Donald M., 1982. "A stationary point for the stochastic frontier likelihood," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 275-279, February.
- Bittlingmayer, George, 1985. "Did Antitrust Policy Cause the Great Merger Wave?," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(1), pages 77-118, April.
- Curry, B & George, K D, 1983. "Industrial Concentration: A Survey," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 203-255, March.
- Wright, Neil R, 1978. "Product Differentiation, Concentration, and Changes in Concentration," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(4), pages 628-631, November.
- Symeonidis, George, 2000. "Price Competition, Non-price Competition and the Market Structure: Theory and Evidence from the UK," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 67(267), pages 437-456, August.
- repec:esx:essedp:501 is not listed on IDEAS
- MacKinnon, James G. & White, Halbert, 1985.
"Some heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance matrix estimators with improved finite sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 305-325, September.
- James G. MacKinnon & Halbert White, 1983. "Some Heteroskedasticity Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimators with Improved Finite Sample Properties," Working Papers 537, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Symeonidis, George, 1999. "In Which Industries Is Collusion More Likely?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2301, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- George Symeonidis, 2000. "Price and Nonprice Competition with Endogenous Market Structure," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 53-83, 03.
- Symeonidis, George, 1999. "Price and non-price competition with endogenous market structure," Economics Discussion Papers 3704, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:2308. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.