The Impact of Trade Policy on Industry Concentration in Switzerland
This paper studies the impact of trade policy on industry concentration. Based on the Swiss Business Census, concentration levels for all four-digit manufacturing industries in Switzerland are calculated. Then the effect of a bilateral reduction in technical barriers to trade with the European Union is estimated. Adopting a difference-in-differences approach, it turns out that concentration in affected industries with low R&D intensity increased significantly following the policy change. This supports the notion that fewer firms are able to survive as the toughness of price competition increases. The effect on industries with high R&D intensity is found to be insignificant.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dufourstrasse 50, CH - 9000 St.Gallen|
Phone: +41 71 224 23 25
Fax: +41 71 224 31 35
Web page: http://www.seps.unisg.ch/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul B. Ellickson, 2007. "Does Sutton apply to supermarkets?," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 38(1), pages 43-59, 03.
- Symeonidis, George, 2000.
"Price Competition and Market Structure: The Impact of Cartel Policy on Concentration in the UK,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Symeonidis, George, 1999. "Price Competition and Market Structure: The Impact of Cartel Policy on Concentration in the UK," CEPR Discussion Papers 2308, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Buehler, Stefan & Burghardt, Dirk, 2013. "Globalization and Vertical Structure: An Empirical Investigation," Economics Working Paper Series 1310, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Bühler, Stefan & Burghardt, Dirk, 2014. "Globalization and Vertical Structure: An Empirical Investigation," Annual Conference 2014 (Hamburg): Evidence-based Economic Policy 100335, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Buehler Stefan & Kaiser Christian & Jaeger Franz, 2005. "Competition Policy and Exit Rates: Evidence from Switzerland," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-30, November.
- Stefan Buehler & Christian Kaiser & Franz Jaeger, 2004. "Competition Policy and Exit Rates: Evidence from Switzerland," SOI - Working Papers 0405, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Apr 2005.
- John Sutton, 2001. "Technology and Market Structure: Theory and History," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262692643, July.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1987. "Product Differentiation and Industrial Structure," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(2), pages 131-146, December.
- J. Levin & L. Einav., 2012. "Empirical Industrial Organization: A Progress Report," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 1.
- Liran Einav & Jonathan Levin, 2010. "Empirical Industrial Organization: A Progress Report," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 24(2), pages 145-162, Spring.
- Liran Einav & Jonathan D. Levin, 2010. "Empirical Industrial Organization: A Progress Report," NBER Working Papers 15786, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liran Einav & Jonathan Levin, 2010. "Empirical Industrial Organization: A Progress Report," Discussion Papers 09-010, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Maria Letizia Giorgetti, 2003. "Lower Bound Estimation - Quantile Regression and Simplex Method: An Application to Italian Manufacturing Sectors," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 113-120, 03.
- Avner Shaked & John Sutton, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition Through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13.
- Ellickson, Paul, 2005. "Does Sutton Apply to Supermarkets?," Working Papers 05-05, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Bart Bronnenberg & Sanjay Dhar & Jean-Pierre Dubé, 2011. "Endogenous sunk costs and the geographic differences in the market structures of CPG categories," Quantitative Marketing and Economics (QME), Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Astrid A. Dick, 2007. "Market Size, Service Quality, and Competition in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(1), pages 49-81, 02.
- Sutton, John, 2007. "Market Structure: Theory and Evidence," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier.
- Robinson, William T & Chiang, Jeongwen, 1996. "Are Sutton's Predictions Robust?: Empirical Insights into Advertising, R&D, and Concentration," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(4), pages 389-408, December.
- Natarajan Balasubramanian & Marvin B. Lieberman, 2011. "Learning‐By‐Doing And Market Structure," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 177-198, 06. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:econwp:2013:17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Flockerzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.