Competition Policy and Exit Rates: Evidence from Switzerland
This paper provides evidence on the relation between the intensity of product-market competition and the probability of exit. We adopt a natural experiment approach to analyze the impact of a tightening of Swiss antitrust legislation on exit probabilities. Based on a sample of more than 68,000 firms from all major sectors of the Swiss economy, we find that the exit probability of non-exporting firms increased significantly, whereas the exit probability of exporting firms remained largely unaffected. Our results support the notion that there is a positive relationship between the intensity of product-market competition and the probability of exit.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 4 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/bejeap|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ridder, G. & Tunali, I., 1997.
"Stratified Partial Likelihood Estimation,"
1997/17, Koc University.
- Wagner, Joachim, 1994. "The Post-entry Performance of New Small Firms in German Manufacturing Industries," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 141-154, June.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1995.
"Natural and Quasi-experiments in Economics,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(2), pages 151-161, April.
- Konings, Jozef & Ana Xavier, 2003. "Firm Performance and Selection in an emerging Economy: Micro Evidence from Slovenia," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 127, Royal Economic Society.
- Damien NEVEN & Thomas VON UNGERN-STERNBERG, 1996. "Swiss Competition Policy in the Last Decade," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9611, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Symeonidis, George, 1999.
"Price and non-price competition with endogenous market structure,"
Economics Discussion Papers
3704, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- George Symeonidis, 2000. "Price and Nonprice Competition with Endogenous Market Structure," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 53-83, 03.
- David Audretsch & Patrick Houweling & A. Thurik, 2000. "Firm Survival in the Netherlands," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 16(1), pages 1-11, February.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Multiproduct Firms, Product Differentiation, and Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- H. Van Kranenburg & F. Palm & G. Pfann, 2002. "Exit and Survival in a Concentrating Industry: The Case of Daily Newspapers in the Netherlands," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 21(3), pages 283-303, November.
- Agustí Segarra & Maria Callejón, 2002. "New Firms' Survival and Market Turbulence: New Evidence from Spain," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 20(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Symeonidis, George, 2000.
"Price Competition and Market Structure: The Impact of Cartel Policy on Concentration in the UK,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Symeonidis, George, 1999. "Price Competition and Market Structure: The Impact of Cartel Policy on Concentration in the UK," CEPR Discussion Papers 2308, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chen, Ming-Yuan, 2002. "Survival duration of plants: Evidence from the US petroleum refining industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 517-555, April.
- Bittlingmayer, George, 1985. "Did Antitrust Policy Cause the Great Merger Wave?," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(1), pages 77-118, April.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Stahl, Konrad & Woywode, Michael, 1998.
"Legal Form, Growth and Exit of West German Firms--Empirical Results for Manufacturing, Construction, Trade and Service Industries,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 453-488, December.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Stahl, Konrad & Woywode, Michael, 1996. "Legal Form, Growth and Exit of West German Firms - Empirical Results for Manufacturing, Construction, Trade and Service Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1401, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Phlips,Louis, 1995. "Competition Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521498715, December.
- Bhattacharjee, A. & Higson, C. & Holly, S. & Kattuman, P., 2004. "Business Failure in UK and US Quoted Firms: Impact of Macroeconomic Instability and the Role of Legal Institutions," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0420, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-679, June.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro, 1994. "Life Duration of New Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 227-245, September.
- Barbara Roberts & Steve Thompson, 2003. "Entry and Exit in a Transition Economy: The Case of Poland," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 22(3), pages 225-243, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:bejeap:v:contributions.4:y:2005:i:1:n:15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.