A new way to assess banking competition
This paper proposes a new empirical framework to measure banking competition. The method developed delivers a robust monotonic relationship between the measure and toughness of price competition. Furthermore, the proposed competition measure can be readily applied to other industries.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Vives, 2010.
"Competition and Stability in Banking,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3050, CESifo Group Munich.
- Xavier Vives, 2011. "Competition and Stability in Banking," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Luis Felipe Céspedes & Roberto Chang & Diego Saravia (ed.), Monetary Policy under Financial Turbulence, edition 1, volume 16, chapter 12, pages 455-502 Central Bank of Chile.
- Xavier Vives T., 2010. "Competition and Stability in Banking," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 13(2), pages 85-112, August.
- Ausubel, Lawrence M, 1991. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 50-81, March.
- Federico Etro, 2007.
"Stackelberg competition with endogenous entry,"
121, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised 2007.
- Federico Etro, 2006. "Aggressive leaders," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(1), pages 146-154, 03.
- Jan Boone, 2008.
"A New Way to Measure Competition,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(531), pages 1245-1261, 08.
- Boone, J., 2004. "A New Way to Measure Competition," Discussion Paper 2004-004, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Boone, J., 2004. "A New Way to Measure Competition," Discussion Paper 2004-31, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Boone, Jan, 2004. "A New Way to Measure Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 4330, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 1990.
"A test of competition in Canadian banking,"
90-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Marcel Canoy & Machiel van Dijk & Jan Lemmen & Ruud de Mooij & JÃ¼rgen Weigand, 2001. "Competition and stability in banking," CPB Document 15, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Symeonidis, George, 2000.
"Price Competition and Market Structure: The Impact of Cartel Policy on Concentration in the UK,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Symeonidis, George, 1999. "Price Competition and Market Structure: The Impact of Cartel Policy on Concentration in the UK," CEPR Discussion Papers 2308, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2001. "Competition among banks: good or bad?," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 38-48.
- Shaffer, Sherrill & DiSalvo, James, 1994.
"Conduct in a banking duopoly,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 1063-1082, December.
- Ellickson, Paul, 2005. "Does Sutton Apply to Supermarkets?," Working Papers 05-05, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- J.A. Bikker & S. Shaffer & L. Spierdijk, 2009.
"Assessing Competition with the Panzar-Rosse Model: The Role of Scale, Costs, and Equilibrium,"
09-27, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Jacob A. Bikker & Sherrill Shaffer & Laura Spierdijk, 2012. "Assessing Competition with the Panzar-Rosse Model: The Role of Scale, Costs, and Equilibrium," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 94(4), pages 1025-1044, November.
- Jacob A. Bikker & Sherrill Shaffer & Laura Spierdijk, 2009. "Assessing Competition with the Panzar-Rosse Model: The Role of Scale, Costs, and Equilibrium," CAMA Working Papers 2009-27, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Jacob Bikker & Sherrill Shaffer & Laura Spierdijk, 2009. "Assessing Competition with the Panzar-Rosse Model: The Role of Scale, Costs, and Equilibrium," DNB Working Papers 225, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 2002. "Conduct in a Banking Monopoly," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 20(3), pages 221-238, May.
- Kenneth G. Elzinga & David E. Mills, 2011. "The Lerner Index of Monopoly Power: Origins and Uses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(3), pages 558-64, May.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 93-99.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Paul B. Ellickson, 2007. "Does Sutton apply to supermarkets?," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 38(1), pages 43-59, 03.
- Symeonidis, George, 2000. "Price Competition, Non-price Competition and the Market Structure: Theory and Evidence from the UK," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 67(267), pages 437-56, August.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1999. "The Competitive Impact of Disclosure Requirements in the Credit Card Industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 183-98, March.
- Panzar, John C & Rosse, James N, 1987. "Testing for "Monopoly" Equilibrium," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 443-56, June.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 2004. "Patterns of competition in banking," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 287-313.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:121:y:2013:i:2:p:167-169. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.