Retail Prices for Milk by Fat Content: A New Theory and Empirical Test of Retailer Pricing Behavior
We study a heretofore unexamined type of product differentiation, horizontally differentiated products with differential costs, and apply the analysis to retail pricing of fluid milk products. The theoretical models yield unique predictions for the relationship among prices of the four horizontally differentiated fluid milk products (skim, 1%, 2%, and whole milk) and the impacts of butterfat and nonfat milk costs on prices, depending upon the form of retail competition. An empirical analysis of retail milk pricing for four major cities in California enables tests to be conducted of which form of behavior best characterizes grocery retailing in these cities.
Volume (Year): 34 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry K. Goodwin & Matthew T. Holt, 1999. "Price Transmission and Asymmetric Adjustment in the U.S. Beef Sector," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 630-637.
- Ellickson, Paul, 2005. "Does Sutton Apply to Supermarkets?," Working Papers 05-05, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Calvin, Linda & Cook, Roberta L. & Denbaly, Mark & Dimitri, Carolyn & Glaser, Lewrene K. & Handy, Charles R. & Jekanowski, Mark D. & Kaufman, Phillip R. & Krissoff, Barry & Thompson, Gary D. & Thornsb, 2001. "U.S. Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Marketing: Emerging Trade Practices, Trends, and Issues," Agricultural Economics Reports 33915, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Aashish Mehta, 2004.
"Price Dynamics in a Vertical Sector: The Case of Butter,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1078-1093.
- Chavas, Jean- Paul & Mehta, Aashish, 2002. "Price Dynamics in a Vertical Sector: The Case of Butter," Working Papers 201555, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Food System Research Group.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Mehta, Aashish, 2002. "Price Dynamics in a Vertical Sector: The Case of Butter," Staff Paper Series 452, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- repec:cdl:compol:217 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lass, Daniel A. & Adanu, Mawunyo & Allen, P. Geoffrey, 2001. "Impacts Of The Northeast Dairy Compact On New England Retail Prices," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 30(1), April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:54546. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.