Milking The Prices: The Role of Asymmetries in the Price Transmission Mechanism for Milk Products in Austria
We assess empirically the vertical price transmission mechanism between producer and consumer prices of milk products in Austria using monthly data for the period from January 1996 to February 2010. We consider explicitly the existence of asymmetries in the adjustment to the long-run equilibrium using two different types of threshold vector error correction (VEC) models, where an inaction band in the adjustment to the long-run relationship is defined and alternatively where price dynamics differ between periods of increasing and decreasing trends in causal prices. Our results indicate that asymmetries play an important role in the pass-through of prices for milk products in Austria. We provide statistical evidence concerning the fact that the adjustment only tends to take place when deviations from the equilibrium are large enough. Milk, dairy and cheese products and butter tend to remain in positive margins (measured as deviations from the long-run equilibrium) for the retailers' side. The explicit modeling of nonlinearities does not improve out-of-sample forecasting performance.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uibk.ac.at/fakultaeten/volkswirtschaft_und_statistik/index.html.en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Teresa Serra & Barry Goodwin, 2003.
"Price transmission and asymmetric adjustment in the Spanish dairy sector,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(18), pages 1889-1899.
- Serra, Teresa & Goodwin, Barry K., 2002. "Price Transmission And Asymmetric Adjustment In The Spanish Dairy Sector," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19622, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Xia Tian, 2009. "Asymmetric Price Transmission, Market Power, and Supply and Demand Curvature," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-25, July.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?,"
8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- M. Ben-Kaabia & José M. Gil, 2007. "Asymmetric price transmission in the Spanish lamb sector," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 34(1), pages 53-80, March.
- Sam Peltzman, 1998.
"Prices Rise Faster Than They Fall,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
142, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Potter, Simon M., 2000.
"Nonlinear impulse response functions,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1425-1446, September.
- Giliola Frey & Matteo Manera, 2007.
"Econometric Models Of Asymmetric Price Transmission,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 349-415, 04.
- Matteo Manera & Giliola Frey, 2005. "Econometric Models of Asymmetric Price Transmission," Working Papers 2005.100, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Hayenga, Marvin L. & Miller, Douglas, 2001. "Price Cycles and Asymmetric Price Transmission in the U.S. Pork Market," Staff General Research Papers 10414, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Mehta, Aashish, 2002.
"Price Dynamics in a Vertical Sector: The Case of Butter,"
Staff Paper Series
452, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Aashish Mehta, 2004. "Price Dynamics in a Vertical Sector: The Case of Butter," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1078-1093.
- Carl R. Gwin, 2009. "Asymmetric Price Adjustment: Cross-Industry Evidence," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 249-265, July.
- Reagan, Patricia B. & Weitzman, Martin L., 1982. "Asymmetries in price and quantity adjustments by the competitive firm," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 410-420, August.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Douglas J. Miller & Marvin L. Hayenga, 2001. "Price Cycles and Asymmetric Price Transmission in the U.S. Pork Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 551-562.
- Andrea M. Leiter & Gerald J. Pruckner, .
"Proportionality of willingness to pay to small changes in risk - The impact of attitudinal factors in scope tests,"
2007-30, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Andrea Leiter & Gerald Pruckner, 2009. "Proportionality of Willingness to Pay to Small Changes in Risk: The Impact of Attitudinal Factors in Scope Tests," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 42(2), pages 169-186, February.
- Meyer, Jochen & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2002.
"Asymmetric Price Transmission: A Survey,"
2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain
24822, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lloyd Tim & McCorriston Steve & Morgan Wyn & Rayner Anthony & Weldegebriel Habtu, 2009. "Buyer Power in U.K. Food Retailing: A 'First-Pass' Test," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-40, May.
- S McCorriston & CW Morgan & AJ Rayner, 2001. "Price transmission: the interaction between market power and returns to scale," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 28(2), pages 143-159, June.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Matthew T. Holt, 1999. "Price Transmission and Asymmetric Adjustment in the U.S. Beef Sector," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 630-637.
- Awudu Abdulai, 2002. "Using threshold cointegration to estimate asymmetric price transmission in the Swiss pork market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(6), pages 679-687.
- Potter, Simon M, 1995.
"A Nonlinear Approach to US GNP,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(2), pages 109-25, April-Jun.
- Habtu Tadesse Weldegebriel, 2004. "Imperfect Price Transmission: Is Market Power Really to Blame?," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 101-114.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Azzeddine M. Azzam, 1999. "Asymmetry and Rigidity in Farm-Retail Price Transmission," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 525-533.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inn:wpaper:2010-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janette Walde)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.