Price Competition, Innovation and Profitability: Theory and UK Evidence
This Paper examines the effect of price competition on innovation, market structure and profitability in R&D-intensive industries. The theoretical predictions are tested using UK data on the evolution of competition, concentration, innovation counts and profitability over 1952-77. The econometric results suggest that the introduction of restrictive practices legislation in the UK had no significant effect on the number of innovations commercialized in previously cartelized R&D-intensive manufacturing industries, while it caused a significant rise in concentration in these industries. In the short run profitability decreased, but in the long run it was restored through the rise in concentration.
|Date of creation:||May 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521771337 is not listed on IDEAS
- George Symeonidis, 1996. "Innovation, Firm Size and Market Structure: Schumpeterian Hypotheses and Some New Themes," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 161, OECD Publishing.
- Blundell, Richard & Griffith, Rachel & Van Reenen, John, 1995.
"Dynamic Count Data Models of Technological Innovation,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(429), pages 333-44, March.
- Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & John Van Reenen, 1994. "Dynamic count data models of technological innovation," IFS Working Papers W94/10, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521589833 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ziss, Steffen, 1994. "Strategic R&D with Spillovers, Collusion and Welfare," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 375-93, December.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Sutton, John, 1996. "Technology and market structure," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 511-530, April.
- Symeonidis, George, 2000.
"Price Competition and Market Structure: The Impact of Cartel Policy on Concentration in the UK,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Symeonidis, George, 1999. "Price Competition and Market Structure: The Impact of Cartel Policy on Concentration in the UK," CEPR Discussion Papers 2308, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Davidson, Carl & Deneckere, Raymond J, 1990.
"Excess Capacity and Collusion,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(3), pages 521-41, August.
- Stephen Broadberry & Nicholas Crafts, 2000.
"Competition and innovation in 1950’s Britain,"
Economic History Working Papers
22381, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- Bertschek, Irene, 1995. "Product and Process Innovation as a Response to Increasing Import and Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(4), pages 341-57, December.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Philippe Aghion & Patrick Rey, 1999.
"Competition, financial discipline and growth,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9619, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Aghion, Philippe & Dewatripont, Mathias & Rey, Patrick, 1999. "Competition, Financial Discipline and Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 2128, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aghion, Philippe & Dewatripont, Mathias & Rey, Patrick, 1999. "Competition, Financial Discipline and Growth," Scholarly Articles 12490416, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Jack High (ed.), 2001. "Competition," Books, Edward Elgar, number 1751, December.
- Fershtman, C. & Gandal, N., 1991.
37-91, Tel Aviv.
- Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Entry, Exit, Growth, and Innovation over the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 562-83, June.
- Robson, M. & Townsend, J. & Pavitt, K., 1988. "Sectoral patterns of production and use of innovations in the UK: 1945-1983," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-14, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521589819 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hausman, Jerry & Hall, Bronwyn H & Griliches, Zvi, 1984.
"Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 909-38, July.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Bronwyn H. Hall & Zvi Griliches, 1984. "Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship," NBER Technical Working Papers 0017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yarrow, G K, 1985. "Welfare Losses in Oligopoly and Monopolistic Competition," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(4), pages 515-29, June.
- Utterback, James M. & Suarez, Fernando F., 1993. "Innovation, competition, and industry structure," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Schott, Kerry, 1976. "Investment in Private Industrial Research and Development in Britain," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 81-99, December.
- Symeonidis, George, 2000. "Price Competition, Non-price Competition and the Market Structure: Theory and Evidence from the UK," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 67(267), pages 437-56, August.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521589826 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chaim Fershtman & Eitan Muller, 1986. "Capital Investments and Price Agreements in Semicollusive Markets," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(2), pages 214-226, Summer.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1988. "Innovation in Large and Small Firms: An Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 678-90, September.
- Klepper, Steven & Simons, Kenneth L, 1997. "Technological Extinctions of Industrial Firms: An Inquiry into Their Nature and Causes," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 379-460, March.
- Geroski, P A, 1990. "Innovation, Technological Opportunity, and Market Structure," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(3), pages 586-602, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:2816. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.