Self-assessed health of elderly people in Brussels: does the built environment matter?
The built environment plays a key role in the strategy of â€œAging in Placeâ€. Here, we study the influence of the built environment on the health status of elderly people living in Brussels. Using census and geocoded data, we analysed if built environment factors were associated with poor self- assessed health status and functional limitations of elderly aged 65+. We concluded that the evidence of the built-environment hypothesis is weak and vulnerable to the composition of the neighborhood.
|Date of creation:||23 Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S Openshaw, 1984. "Ecological fallacies and the analysis of areal census data," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 16(1), pages 17-31, January.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2003. "Cluster-Sample Methods in Applied Econometrics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 133-138, May.
- Freedman, Vicki A. & Grafova, Irina B. & Schoeni, Robert F. & Rogowski, Jeannette, 2008. "Neighborhoods and disability in later life," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(11), pages 2253-2267, June.
- DUJARDIN, Claire & THOMAS, Isabelle & TULKENS, Henry, .
"Quelles frontières pour Bruxelles? Une mise à jour,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1972, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Claire Dujardin & Isabelle Thomas & Henry Tulkens, 2007. "Quelles frontières pour Bruxelles ? Une mise à jour," Reflets et perspectives de la vie économique, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(2), pages 155-176.
- LORANT, Vincent & VAN OYEN, Herman & THOMAS, Isabelle, . "Contextual factors and immigrants' health status: Double jeopardy," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- CAULIER, Jean-FranÃ§ois & MAULEON, Ana & VANNETELBOSCH, Vincent, 2013. "Allocation rules for coalitional network games," CORE Discussion Papers 2013032, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Wight, Richard G. & Cummings, Janet R. & Miller-Martinez, Dana & Karlamangla, Arun S. & Seeman, Teresa E. & Aneshensel, Carol S., 2008. "A multilevel analysis of urban neighborhood socioeconomic disadvantage and health in late life," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(4), pages 862-872, February.
- Bowling, Ann & Stafford, Mai, 2007. "How do objective and subjective assessments of neighbourhood influence social and physical functioning in older age? Findings from a British survey of ageing," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 64(12), pages 2533-2549, June.
- Nigar Hashimzade & Jean Hindriks & Gareth D. Myles, 2006. "Solutions Manual to Accompany Intermediate Public Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262582694, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2013048. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.