A Comparison Of Mean-Variance Efficiency Tests
We analyse the asymptotic properties of mean-variance efficiency tests based on generalised methods of moments, and parametric and semiparametric likelihood procedures that assume elliptical innovations. We study the trade-off between efficiency and robustness, and prove that the fully parametric estimators provide asymptotically valid inferences when the conditional distribution of the innovations is elliptical but possibly misspecificed and heteroskedastic. We compare the small sample performance of the alternative tests in a Monte Carlo study, and find some discrepancies with their asymptotic properties. Finally, we present an empirical application to US stock returns, which rejects the mean-variance efficiency of the market portfolio.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casado del Alisal, 5, 28014 Madrid|
Web page: http://www.cemfi.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Enrique Sentana & Javier Mencía, 2008.
"Distributional Tests In Multivariate Dynamic Models With Normal And Student T Innovations,"
- Javier Mencía & Enrique Sentana, 2012. "Distributional Tests in Multivariate Dynamic Models with Normal and Student-t Innovations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 94(1), pages 133-152, February.
- Javier Mencía & Enrique Sentana, 2009. "Distributional tests in multivariate dynamic models with Normal and Student t innovations," Working Papers 0929, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Nijman, T.E. & de Roon, F.A., 2001. "Testing for mean-variance spanning : A survey," Other publications TiSEM 0159f80a-c61b-4519-b004-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Douglas J Hodgson & Oliver Linton & Keith Vorkink, 2000.
"Testing the capital asset pricing model efficiently under elliptical symmetry : a semiparametric approach,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2197, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Keith Vorkink & Douglas J. Hodgson & Oliver Linton, 2002. "Testing the capital asset pricing model efficiently under elliptical symmetry: a semiparametric approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 617-639.
- Douglas J. Hodgson & Oliver Linton & Keith Vorkink, 2001. "Testing the Capital Asset Pricing Model Efficiently Under Elliptical Symmetry: A Semiparametric Approach," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 143, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Douglas J Hodgson & Oliver Linton & Keith Vorkink, 2000. "Testing the Capital Asset Pricing Model Efficiently under Elliptical Symmetry: A Semiparametric Approach," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 398, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Oliver Linton & Douglas J.Hodgson & Keith Vorkink, 2001. "Testing the Capital Asset Pricing Model Efficiently Under Elliptical Symmetry: A Semiparametric Approach," FMG Discussion Papers dp382, Financial Markets Group.
- Geweke, John, 1981. "The Approximate Slopes of Econometric Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1427-42, November.
- Huberman, Gur & Kandel, Shmuel, 1987. " Mean-Variance Spanning," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 873-88, September.
- de Roon, F.A. & Nijman, T.E., 1998.
"Testing for mean-variance spanning : A survey,"
1998-132, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Keith Vorkink, 2003. "Return Distributions and Improved Tests of Asset Pricing Models," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 845-874, July.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1994.
"Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests,"
903, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1998. "Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 66(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Marie-Claude BEAULIEU & Jean-Marie DUFOUR & Lynda KHALAF, 2002.
"Testing Mean-Variance Efficiency In Capm With Possibly Non-Gaussian Errors : An Exact Simulation-Based Approach,"
Cahiers de recherche
17-2002, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Beaulieu, Marie-Claude & Khalaf, Lynda, 2003. "Testing mean-variance efficiency in CAPM with possibly non-gaussian errors: an exact simulation-based approach," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2003,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- BEAULIEU, Marie-Claude & DUFOUR, Jean-Marie & KHALAF, Lynda., 2002. "Testing Mean-Variance Efficiency in CAPM with Possibly Non-Gaussian Errors : An Exact Simulation-Based Approach," Cahiers de recherche 2002-17, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Marie-Claude Beaulieu & Jean-Marie Dufour & Lynda Khalaf, 2002. "Testing Mean-Variance Efficiency in CAPM with Possibly Non-Gaussian Errors: an Exact Simulation-Based Approach," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-85, CIRANO.
- Zhou, Guofu, 1991. "Small sample tests of portfolio efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 165-191, November.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Bronwyn H. Hall & Robert E. Hall & Jerry A. Hausman, 1974. "Estimation and Inference in Nonlinear Structural Models," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 3, number 4, pages 653-665 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Sentana, Enrique & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2003. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference in Multivariate Conditionally Heteroscedastic Dynamic Regression Models with Student t Innovations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(4), pages 532-46, October.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Ross, Stephen A & Shanken, Jay, 1989. "A Test of the Efficiency of a Given Portfolio," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1121-52, September.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Douglas J. Hodgson & Oliver Linton & Keith Vorkink, 2004. "Testing forward exchange rate unbiasedness efficiently: a semiparametric approach," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 325-353, November.
- Berk, Jonathan B., 1997. "Necessary Conditions for the CAPM," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 245-257, March.
- Vihang Errunza & Ked Hogan & Mao-Wei Hung, 1999. "Can the Gains from International Diversification Be Achieved without Trading Abroad?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(6), pages 2075-2107, December.
- MEDDAHI, Nour & RENAULT, Éric, 1998.
"Quadratic M-Estimators for ARCH-Type Processes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9814, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana, 2007.
"On the efficiency and consistency of likelihood estimation in multivariate conditionally heteroskedastic dynamic regression models,"
Working Paper Series
38_07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Enrique Sentana & Gabriele Fiorentini, 2007. "On The Efficiency And Consistency Of Likelihood Estimation In Multivariate Conditionally Heteroskedastic Dynamic Regression Models," Working Papers wp2007_0713, CEMFI.
- Owen, Joel & Rabinovitch, Ramon, 1983. " On the Class of Elliptical Distributions and Their Applications to the Theory of Portfolio Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 745-52, June.
- Douglas Hodgson, 2000. "Unconditional pseudo-maximum likelihood and adaptive estimation in the presence of conditional heterogeneity of unknown form," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 175-206.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cmf:wpaper:wp2008_0806. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Araceli Requerey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.