Multivariate Tests of Mean-Variance Efficiency and Spanning with a Large Number of Assets and Time-Varying Covariances
We develop a finite-sample procedure to test for mean-variance efficiency and spanning without imposing any parametric assumptions on the distribution of model disturbances. In so doing, we provide an exact distribution-free method to test uniform linear restrictions in multivariate linear regression models. The framework allows for unknown forms of non-normalities, and time-varying conditional variances and covariances among the model disturbances. We derive exact bounds on the null distribution of joint F statistics in order to deal with the presence of nuisance parameters, and we show how to implement the resulting generalized non-parametric bounds tests with Monte Carlo resampling techniques. In sharp contrast to the usual tests that are not computable when the number of test assets is too large, the power of the new test procedure potentially increases along both the time and cross-sectional dimensions.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada|
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976.
"The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- Stephen A. Ross, "undated". "The Arbitrage Theory of Capital Asset Pricing," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 02-73, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Stephen A. Ross, "undated". "The Arbitrage Theory of Capital Asset Pricing," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 2-73, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Affleck-Graves, John & McDonald, Bill, 1989. " Nonnormalities and Tests of Asset Pricing Theories," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(4), pages 889-908, September.
- Zhou, Guofu, 1993. " Asset-Pricing Tests under Alternative Distributions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1927-1942, December.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1989. "Nonlinear Hypotheses, Inequality Restrictions, and Non-nested Hypotheses: Exact Simultaneous Tests in Linear Regressions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 335-355, March.
- Dufour, J.-M., 1986. "Nonlinear hypotheses, inequality restrictions and non-nested hypotheses: Exact simultaneous tests in linear regressions," CORE Discussion Papers 1986016, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1983. "A characterization of the distributions that imply mean--Variance utility functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 185-201, February.
- Beaulieu, Marie-Claude & Dufour, Jean-Marie & Khalaf, Lynda, 2010. "Asset-pricing anomalies and spanning: Multivariate and multifactor tests with heavy-tailed distributions," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 763-782, September.
- Ray, Surajit & Savin, N.E. & Tiwari, Ashish, 2009. "Testing the CAPM revisited," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 721-733, December.
- Lo, Andrew W & MacKinlay, A Craig, 1990. "Data-Snooping Biases in Tests of Financial Asset Pricing Models," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(3), pages 431-467.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan) & MacKinlay, Archie Craig, 1955-, 1989. "Data-snooping biases in tests of financial asset pricing models," Working papers 3020-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1989. "Data-Snooping Biases in Tests of Financial Asset Pricing Models," NBER Working Papers 3001, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cheung, C. Sherman & Kwan, Clarence C.Y. & Mountain, Dean C., 2009. "On the nature of mean-variance spanning," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 106-113, June.
- Nijman, T.E. & de Roon, F.A., 2001. "Testing for mean-variance spanning : A survey," Other publications TiSEM 0159f80a-c61b-4519-b004-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Owen, Joel & Rabinovitch, Ramon, 1983. " On the Class of Elliptical Distributions and Their Applications to the Theory of Portfolio Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 745-752, June.
- Raymond Kan & Guofu Zhou, 2012. "Tests of Mean-Variance Spanning," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 13(1), pages 139-187, May.
- Raymond Kan & Guofu Zhou, 2001. "Tests of Mean-Variance Spanning," CEMA Working Papers 539, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Kenneth Stewart, 1997. "Exact testing in multivariate regression," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 321-352.
- Gungor, Sermin & Luger, Richard, 2009. "Exact distribution-free tests of mean-variance efficiency," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 816-829, December.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Huberman, Gur & Kandel, Shmuel, 1987. " Mean-Variance Spanning," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 873-888, September.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, September.
- Berk, Jonathan B., 1997. "Necessary Conditions for the CAPM," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 245-257, March.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Yamagata, Takashi, 2012. "Testing CAPM with a Large Number of Assets," IZA Discussion Papers 6469, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M Hashem Pesaran & Takashi Yamagata, 2012. "Testing CAPM with a Large Number of Assets," Discussion Papers 12/05, Department of Economics, University of York.
- DeRoon, Frans A. & Nijman, Theo E., 2001. "Testing for mean-variance spanning: a survey," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 111-155, May.
- de Roon, F.A. & Nijman, T.E., 1998. "Testing for mean-variance spanning : A survey," Discussion Paper 1998-132, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Sermin Gungor & Richard Luger, 2013. "Testing Linear Factor Pricing Models With Large Cross Sections: A Distribution-Free Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(1), pages 66-77, January.
- Affleck-Graves, John & McDonald, Bill, 1990. "Multivariate Tests of Asset Pricing: The Comparative Power of Alternative Statistics," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(02), pages 163-185, June.
- Blattberg, Robert C & Gonedes, Nicholas J, 1974. "A Comparison of the Stable and Student Distributions as Statistical Models for Stock Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 244-280, April.
- Roll, Richard, 1977. "A critique of the asset pricing theory's tests Part I: On past and potential testability of the theory," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 129-176, March.
- Liang, Bing, 2000. "Portfolio Formation, Measurement Errors, and Beta Shifts: A Random Sampling Approach," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 23(3), pages 261-284, Fall.
- Bing Liang, 2000. "Portfolio Formation, Measurement Errors, And Beta Shifts: A Random Sampling Approach," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 23(3), pages 261-284, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bca:bocawp:13-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.