Identification, weak instruments, and statistical inference in econometrics
We discuss statistical inference problems associated with identification and testability in econometrics. We consider inference in non-parametric models and weakly identified structural models (weak instruments). We point out that many statistical problems, such as non-testable hypotheses, occur in these areas and are typically associated with asymptotic approximations. In non-parametric models, such problems include testing moments and inference under heteroscedasticity or serial dependence of unknown form. For weakly identified structural models, difficulties are typically associated with improper pivots, and we review recent developments aimed at proposing more reliable procedures, including alternative proposed statistics, bounds, projection, split-sampling, conditioning, Monte Carlo tests.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 36 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4|
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://economics.ca/en/membership.php Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie, 2000.
"Économétrie, théorie des tests et philosophie des sciences,"
Cahiers de recherche
2000-14, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jean-Marie Dufour, 2000. "Économétrie, théorie des tests et philosophie des sciences," CIRANO Working Papers 2000s-47, CIRANO.
- Dufour, J.M., 2000. "Econometrie, theorie des tests et philosophie des sciences," Cahiers de recherche 2000-14, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie, 2001.
"Logique et tests d'hypotheses: reflexions sur les problemes mal poses en econometrie,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-15, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dufour, J.M., 2001. "Logique et tests d'hypotheses: reflexions sur les problemes mal poses en econometrie," Cahiers de recherche 2001-15, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jean-Marie Dufour, 2001. "Logiques et tests d'hypothèses : réflexions sur les problèmes mal posés en économétrie," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-40, CIRANO.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1990.
"Exact Tests and Confidence Sets in Linear Regressions with Autocorrelated Errors,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 475-94, March.
- Dufour, J.-M., 1986. "Exact tests and confidence sets in linear regressions with autocorrelated errors," CORE Discussion Papers 1986037, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean-Marie Dufour, 1997. "Some Impossibility Theorems in Econometrics with Applications to Structural and Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1365-1388, November.
- Phillips, Peter C B, 1984.
"The Exact Distribution of LIML: I,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 249-61, February.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1983. "The Exact Distribution of LIML: II," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 663, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1982. "The Exact Distribution of LIML: I," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 658, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hahn, Jinyong & Hausman, Jerry, 2002. "Notes on bias in estimators for simultaneous equation models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 237-241, April.
- Marcelo J. Moreira, 2003. "A Conditional Likelihood Ratio Test for Structural Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1027-1048, 07.
- Frank Kleibergen, 2002. "Pivotal Statistics for Testing Structural Parameters in Instrumental Variables Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1781-1803, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cje:issued:v:36:y:2003:i:4:p:767-808. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.