Regulation, Market Structure and Service Trade Liberalization
In this paper, we develop a method to quantify the importance of regulation and market structure on the success of trade liberalization. For this purpose, we incorporate a single imperfectly competitive service sector that can take on various market structures into a standard computational general equilibrium model. We apply our framework to analyze the impact of allowing a single foreign telecom provider to enter Tunisia. If the regulation environment guarantees competition, Tunisia's welfare can improve up to 0.65 percent. If a cartel is formed between the domestic incumbent and foreign entrant, however, Tunisia's welfare can drop up to 0.25 percent. Our results thus call for Tunisia among other developing countries to step up its procompetitive regulatory reforms while liberalizing its telecom sector. Dans ce papier, nous développons une méthode permettant de quantifier l'importance de la réglementation et de la structure des marchés sur la libéralisation du commerce et sur son succès. À ces fins, nous incorporons un secteur unique et imparfaitement compétitif pouvant intégrer différentes structures de marché dans un modèle standard de calcul d'équilibre général. Nous appliquons notre cadre d'analyse afin d'étudier l'impact de l'entrée d'un seul fournisseur étranger en Tunisie. Nous trouvons que si la réglementation du marché y garantit la compétition, le bien-être de la Tunisie peut augmenter de 0,65 %. Cependant, s'il y a formation d'un cartel entre le réseau domestique et l'entrant étranger, le bien-être de la Tunisie peut baisser de 0,25 %. Nos résultats démontrent que tout en libéralisant son secteur des télécommunications, la Tunisie bénéficierait de réformes visant des régulations pro-compétitives.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1130 rue Sherbrooke Ouest, suite 1400, Montréal, Quéc, H3A 2M8|
Phone: (514) 985-4000
Fax: (514) 985-4039
Web page: http://www.cirano.qc.ca/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James R. Markusen & Thomas F. Rutherford & David Tarr, 2000.
"Foreign Direct Investments in Services and the Domestic Market for Expertise,"
NBER Working Papers
7700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David, 2000. "Foreign direct investment in services and the domestic market for expertise," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2413, The World Bank.
- Arnold, Jens M. & Javorcik, Beata S. & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2011.
"Does services liberalization benefit manufacturing firms?: Evidence from the Czech Republic,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 136-146, September.
- Arnold, Jens & Javorcik, Beata S. & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2007. "Does services liberalization benefit manufacturing firms ? Evidence from the Czech Republic," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4109, The World Bank.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Robert M. Stern, 2000.
"Measurement and Modeling of the Economic Effects of Trade and Investment Barriers in Services,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0001, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Brown, Drusilla K & Stern, Robert M, 2001. "Measurement and Modeling of the Economic Effects of Trade and Investment Barriers in Services," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 262-286, May.
- Brown, D.K. & Stern, R.M., 1999. "Measurement and Modeling of the Economic Effects of Trade and Investment Barriers in Services," Working Papers 453, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Varoudakis, Aristomene & Rossotto, Carlo Maria, 2004. "Regulatory reform and performance in telecommunications: unrealized potential in the MENA countries," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 59-78, February.
- Jensen, Jesper & Rutherford, Thomas & Tarr, David, 2004.
"The impact of liberalizing barriers to foreign direct investment in services - the case of Russian accession to the World Trade Organization,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3391, The World Bank.
- Jesper Jensen & Thomas Rutherford & David Tarr, 2014. "The Impact of Liberalizing Barriers to Foreign Direct Investment in Services: The Case of Russian Accession to the World Trade Organization," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: APPLIED TRADE POLICY MODELING IN 16 COUNTRIES Insights and Impacts from World Bank CGE Based Projects, chapter 6, pages 125-149 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Jesper Jensen & Thomas Rutherford & David Tarr, 2007. "The Impact of Liberalizing Barriers to Foreign Direct Investment in Services: The Case of Russian Accession to the World Trade Organization," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 482-506, 08.
- Philippa Dee & Kevin Hanslow, 2002. "Multilateral liberalisation of services trade," International Trade 0207002, EconWPA.
- Deardoff, A.V. & Brown, D.K. & Stern, R.M. & Fox, A.K., 1995. "Computational Analysis of Goods and Services Liberalization in the Uruguay Round," Working Papers 379, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Aaditya Mattoo & Pierre Sauve, 2003. "Domestic Regulation and Service Trade Liberalization," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15081, February.
- Konan, Denise Eby & Maskus, Keith E., 2000.
"Joint trade liberalization and tax reform in a small open economy: the case of Egypt,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 365-392, April.
- Denise Eby Konan & Keith Maskus, 1997. "Joint Trade Liberalization and Tax Reform in a Small Open Economy: The Case of Egypt," Working Papers 199703-R, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- John Whalley, 2003.
"Assessing the Benefits to Developing Countries of Liberalization in Services Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
10181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Whalley, 2004. "Assessing the Benefits to Developing Countries of Liberalisation in Services Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(8), pages 1223-1253, 08.
- Maskus, Keith E & Konan, Denise Eby, 1997. "Trade Liberalization in Egypt," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(3), pages 275-293, October.
- Francois, Joseph & Wooton, Ian, 2001.
"Market Structure, Trade Liberalization, and the GATS,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2669, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francois, Joseph & Wooton, Ian, 2001. "Market structure, trade liberalization and the GATS," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 389-402, June.
- Joseph Francois & Ian Wooton, 2000. "Market Structure, Trade Liberalization and the GATS," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-059/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Deardorff, A.V. & Brown, D.K. & Stern, R.M., 1996. "Some Economic Effects of the Free Trade Agreement Between Tunisia and the European Union," Working Papers 385, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Konan, Denise Eby & Maskus, Keith E., 2003.
"Quantifying the impact of services liberalization in a developing country,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3193, The World Bank.
- Konan, Denise Eby & Maskus, Keith E., 2006. "Quantifying the impact of services liberalization in a developing country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 142-162, October.
- Konan Denise Eby & MASKUS Keith E., "undated". "Quantifying the Impact of Services Liberalization in a Developing Country," EcoMod2002 330800043, EcoMod.
- James Markusen & Thomas Rutherford & David Tarr, 2005. "Trade and direct investment in producer services and the domestic market for expertise," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(3), pages 758-777, August.
- Thomas W. Hertel, 2000. "Potential gains from reducing trade barriers in manufacturing, services and agriculture," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 77-104.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cir:cirwor:2006s-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.