Market Structure, Trade Liberalization, and the GATS
In this Paper we examine the interaction between the different modes of market access commitments in services (cross-border and establishment) market structure, and regulation. In this context, we focus on the impact of improved domestic market access for a foreign service provider on a domestic service market. We work with a model where the domestic industry is assumed to be imperfectly competitive and, as a result of domestic regulation, is able to act as a cartel. We also examine the incentives for the domestic firms to accommodate the entry of the foreign firm by inviting it to join the cartel.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoekman, B.M., 1992.
"Conceptual and Political Economy Issues in Liberalizing International Transactions in Services,"
309, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Hoekman, Bernard, 1992. "Conceptual and Political Economy Issues in Liberalizing International Transactions in Services," CEPR Discussion Papers 666, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph F. Francois & Lutger Schuknecht, 1999. "Trade in Financial Services: Procompetitive Effects and Growth Performance," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-028/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Francois, Joseph & Schuknecht, Ludger, 1999. "Trade in Financial Services: Procompetitive Effects and Growth Performance," CEPR Discussion Papers 2144, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francois, Joseph F & Wooton, Ian, 2001. "Trade in International Transport Services: The Role of Competition," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 249-261, May.
- Francois, Joseph & Wooton, Ian, 2000. "Trade in International Transport Services: The Role of Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 2377, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph Francois & Ian Wooton, 2000. "Trade in International Transport Services: The Role of Competition," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-057/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hill, T P, 1977. "On Goods and Services," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 23(4), pages 315-338, December.
- Cho, Yoon Je, 1988. "Some Policy Lessons from the Opening of the Korean Insurance Market," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 2(2), pages 239-254, May.
- Markusen, James R, 1989. "Trade in Producer Services and in Other Specialized Intermediate Inputs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 85-95, March.
- James R. Markusen, 1988. "Production, Trade, and Migration with Differentiated, Skilled Workers," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(3), pages 492-506, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)