Market structure, trade liberalization and the GATS
In this Paper we examine the interaction between the different modes of market access commitments in services (cross-border and establishment) market structure, and regulation. In this context, we focus on the impact of improved domestic market access for a foreign service provider on a domestic service market. We work with a model where the domestic industry is assumed to be imperfectly competitive and, as a result of domestic regulation, is able to act as a cartel. We also examine the incentives for the domestic firms to accommodate the entry of the foreign firm by inviting it to join the cartel.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hill, T P, 1977. "On Goods and Services," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 23(4), pages 315-338, December.
- Markusen, James R, 1989. "Trade in Producer Services and in Other Specialized Intermediate Inputs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 85-95, March.
- Francois, Joseph F & Wooton, Ian, 2001.
"Trade in International Transport Services: The Role of Competition,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 249-261, May.
- Joseph Francois & Ian Wooton, 2000. "Trade in International Transport Services: The Role of Competition," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-057/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Francois, Joseph & Wooton, Ian, 2000. "Trade in International Transport Services: The Role of Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 2377, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hoekman, B.M., 1992. "Conceptual and Political Economy Issues in Liberalizing International Transactions in Services," Working Papers 309, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Hoekman, Bernard, 1992. "Conceptual and Political Economy Issues in Liberalizing International Transactions in Services," CEPR Discussion Papers 666, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph F. Francois & Lutger Schuknecht, 1999. "Trade in Financial Services: Procompetitive Effects and Growth Performance," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-028/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Francois, Joseph & Schuknecht, Ludger, 1999. "Trade in Financial Services: Procompetitive Effects and Growth Performance," CEPR Discussion Papers 2144, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cho, Yoon Je, 1988. "Some Policy Lessons from the Opening of the Korean Insurance Market," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 2(2), pages 239-254, May.
- James R. Markusen, 1988. "Production, Trade, and Migration with Differentiated, Skilled Workers," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(3), pages 492-506, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)