Services linkages and the value added content of trade
Services trade constitute roughly one-third of trade on a value added basis, and much of this is concentrated in margin services (transport, logistics) linked to trade in goods. However, producer services are also part of the value added contained in traded goods. This is especially true in high income countries, where services account for roughly 70 percent of value added. Working with data (a set of global social accounting matrices spanning intermittent years from 1992 to 2007) this paper examines the services embodied in trade on a value added basis. This includes not only the direct and indirect contribution of services to value added contained in a given country’s exports, but also the extent to which third-country value added in services, through intermediate linkages of imported goods and services, are also embodied in production and trade. This exercise serves to highlight not only the importance of non-tradables in trade, but also by extension the importance that productivity, foreign affiliates sales, and trade and investment in services may hold for interdependence and cross-border linkages.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elisabeth Christen & Joseph Francois, 2010.
"Modes of Delivery in Services,"
Economics working papers
2010-08, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Joseph Francois & Olga Pindyuk, 2013. "Consolidated Data on International Trade in Services," IIDE Discussion Papers 20130101, Institue for International and Development Economics.
- Nico van Leeuwen & Arjan Lejour, 2006. "Bilateral Services Trade Data and the GTAP database," CPB Memorandum 160, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Hui Huang & John Whalley & Shunming Zhang, 2005. "Trade Liberalization in a Joint Spatial Inter-Temporal Trade Model," CESifo Working Paper Series 1463, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rutherford, Thomas & Tarr, David & Shepotylo, Oleksandr, 2005. "The impact on Russia of WTO accession and the Doha agenda : the importance of liberalization of barriers against foreign direct investment in services for growth and poverty reduction," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3725, The World Bank.
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006.
"Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 44(3), pages 589-630, September.
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006. "Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2118, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006. "Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms," NBER Working Papers 12091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 2006. "Trade, FDI and the Organization of Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 5589, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James Markusen & Thomas Rutherford & David Tarr, 2005. "Trade and direct investment in producer services and the domestic market for expertise," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(3), pages 758-777, August.
- Markusen, James R, 1989. "Trade in Producer Services and in Other Specialized Intermediate Inputs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 85-95, March.
- Henk Kox & Arjan Lejour, 2006. "The Effects of the Services Directive on Intra-eu Trade and fdi," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(4), pages 747-769.
- van Marrewijk, Charles & Stibora, Joachim & de Vaal, Albert & Viaene, Jean-Marie, 1997. "Producer services, comparative advantage, and international trade patterns," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 195-220, February.
- Konan, Denise Eby & Maskus, Keith E., 2006.
"Quantifying the impact of services liberalization in a developing country,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 142-162, October.
- Konan, Denise Eby & Maskus, Keith E., 2003. "Quantifying the impact of services liberalization in a developing country," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3193, The World Bank.
- Konan Denise Eby & MASKUS Keith E., . "Quantifying the Impact of Services Liberalization in a Developing Country," EcoMod2002 330800043, EcoMod.
- Oecd, 2011. "The Impact of Trade Liberalisation on Jobs and Growth: Technical Note," OECD Trade Policy Papers 107, OECD Publishing.
- Lionel Fontagné & Amélie Guillin & Cristina Mitaritonna, 2011. "Estimations of Tariff Equivalents for the Services Sectors," Working Papers 2011-24, CEPII research center.
- Francois, Joseph F, 1990. "Producer Services, Scale, and the Division of Labor," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 715-29, October.
- Philippa Dee & Kevin Hanslow & Tiem Phamduc, 2003. "Measuring the Cost of Barriers to Trade in Services," NBER Chapters, in: Trade in Services in the Asia Pacific Region, NBER East Asia Seminar on Economics (EASE), Volume 11, pages 11-46 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2008.
"Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade,
Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 199-229, December.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2007. "Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-045/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2007. "Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade," FIW Working Paper series 002, FIW.
- Joseph Francois & Hugh M. Arce & Kenneth A. Reinert & Joseph E. Flynn, 1996. "Commercial Policy and the Domestic Carrying Trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(1), pages 181-98, February.
- Escaith, Hubert, 2008. "Measuring trade in value added in the new industrial economy: statistical implications," MPRA Paper 14454, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:6432. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.