Concentration Versus Re-Matching? Evidence About the Locational Effects of Commuting Costs
Using administrative employer-employee data from Germany, I exploit two reductions of tax breaks for commuting in 2003/4 and 2006/7 to estimate commuting costs' effect on the decision to switch job and move house. Standard theory predicts that higher commuting costs should lead to increased concentration in urban centers. However, I find that re-matching of existing jobs and houses to reduce commuting distances is much more prevalent in the data. With these estimates I calculate the effect of a complete abolition of the tax breaks on overall travel distance, fuel usage, greenhouse gas emissions, the tax base, and the de-population of the countryside.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borck, Rainald & Wrede, Matthias, 2009.
"Subsidies for intracity and intercity commuting,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 25-32, July.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1982. "Wages, Rents, and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1257-1278, December.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Arne Feddersen, 2010.
"From periphery to core: economic adjustments to high speed rail,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
29430, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Arne Feddersen & Gabriel Ahlfeldt, 2011. "From Periphery to Core: Economic Adjustments to High Speed Rail," ERSA conference papers ersa11p545, European Regional Science Association.
- Ahlfeldt, Gabriel M. & Feddersen, Arne, 2010. "From Periphery to Core: Economic Adjustments to High Speed Rail," MPRA Paper 25106, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Arne Feddersen, 2010. "From periphery to core: economic adjustments to high speed rail," Working Papers 2010/38, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Moretti, Enrico, 2010.
"Local Labor Markets,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4905, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Schulze, Sven, 2009. "Einige Beobachtungen zum Pendlerverhalten in Deutschland," HWWI Policy Papers 1-19, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Raven Molloy & Hui Shan, 2010.
"The effect of gasoline prices on household location,"
2010/28, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Raven Molloy & Hui Shan, 2013. "The Effect of Gasoline Prices on Household Location," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 95(4), pages 1212-1221, October.
- Raven S. Molloy & Hui Shan, 2010. "The effect of gasoline prices on household location," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2010-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Robert H. Topel & Michael P. Ward, 1992. "Job Mobility and the Careers of Young Men," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 439-479.
- Jutta Kloas & Hartmut Kuhfeld, 2003. "Entfernungspauschale: Bezieher hoher Einkommen begünstigt: aktuelle Ergebnisse zum Verkehrsverhalten privater Haushalte," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 70(42), pages 623-629.
- Fujita,Masahisa, 1991.
"Urban Economic Theory,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521396455, December.
- Antonio M. Bento & Maureen L. Cropper & Ahmed Mushfiq Mobarak & Katja Vinha, 2005. "The Effects of Urban Spatial Structure on Travel Demand in the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(3), pages 466-478, August.
- Christopher R. Knittel & Ryan Sandler, 2010.
"Carbon Prices and Automobile Greenhouse Gas Emissions: The Extensive and Intensive Margins,"
NBER Working Papers
16482, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher R. Knittel & Ryan Sandler, 2011. "Carbon Prices and Automobile Greenhouse Gas Emissions: The Extensive and Intensive Margins," NBER Chapters, in: The Design and Implementation of U.S. Climate Policy, pages 287-299 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bartel, Ann P, 1979. "The Migration Decision: What Role Does Job Mobility Play?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(5), pages 775-786, December.
- Shanjun Li & Christopher Timmins & Roger H. von Haefen, 2009.
"How Do Gasoline Prices Affect Fleet Fuel Economy?,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 113-137, August.
- Philippe Michel & Anne Perrot & Jacques-François Thisse, 1996.
"Interregional equilibrium with heterogeneous labor,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 9(1), pages 95-113, February.
- Michel, P. & Perrot, A. & Thisse, J.-F., "undated". "Interregional equilibrium with heterogeneous labor," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1194, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gräb, Christopher & Vorgrimler, Daniel, 2005. "Zur steuerlichen Bedeutung der Entfernungspauschale," Wirtschaftsdienst – Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftspolitik (1949 - 2007), ZBW – German National Library of Economics / Leibniz Information Centre for Economics, vol. 85(12), pages 768-775.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:cepdps:dp1207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.