Subsidies for Intracity and Intercity Commuting
This paper analyzes subsidies for intracity and intercity commuting in an urban economics framework with two cities and agglomeration externalities, where workers may commute within and between cities. First, commuting subsidies serve to internalize agglomeration externalities: Intracity commuting subsidies give incentives to move to the larger city and intercity commuting subsidies make residents of the periphery commute to the core. Second, if agglomeration rents are locally captured, commuting subsidies act as a welfare enhancing transfer from the core to the periphery.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giles Duranton & Diego Puga, 2003.
"Micro-Foundations of Urban Agglomeration Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
9931, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duranton, Gilles & Puga, Diego, 2004. "Micro-foundations of urban agglomeration economies," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 48, pages 2063-2117 Elsevier.
- Stefan Bach, 2003. "Entfernungspauschale: Kürzung gerechtfertigt," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 70(40), pages 602-608.
- Borck, Rainald & Pflüger, Michael P. & Wrede, Matthias, 2007.
"A Simple Theory of Industry Location and Residence Choice,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2862, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rainald Borck & Michael Pflüger & Matthias Wrede, 2010. "A simple theory of industry location and residence choice," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(6), pages 913-940, November.
- Borck, Rainald & Wrede, Matthias, 2008.
"Commuting subsidies with two transport modes,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 841-848, May.
- Rainald Borck & Matthias Wrede, 2004.
"Political Economy of Commuting Subsidies,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
445, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2003.
"Transport Subsidies, System Choice, and Urban Sprawl,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1090, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2005. "Transport subsidies, system choice, and urban sprawl," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 715-733, November.
- Daniel J. Graham, 2007. "Agglomeration Economies and Transport Investment," OECD/ITF Joint Transport Research Centre Discussion Papers 2007/11, OECD Publishing.
- Zax, Jeffrey S., 1991. "Compensation for commutes in labor and housing markets," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 192-207, September.
- Myers & G.M., 1989.
"Optimality, Free Mobility And The Regional Authority In Federation,"
10, John Deutsch Institute for the Study of Economic Policy.
- Myers, Gordon M., 1990. "Optimality, free mobility, and the regional authority in a federation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 107-121, October.
- Henderson, J V, 1974.
"The Sizes and Types of Cities,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 64(4), pages 640-56, September.
- Richard Arnott, 2007.
"Congestion Tolling with Agglomeration Externalities,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
660, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Arnott, Richard, 2007. "Congestion tolling with agglomeration externalities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 187-203, September.
- Abdel-Rahman, Hesham M. & Anas, Alex, 2003.
"Theories of system of cities,"
2003-08, University of New Orleans, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Zenou, Yves, 2000.
"Urban unemployment, agglomeration and transportation policies,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 97-133, July.
- Zenou, Yves, 1999. "Urban Unemployment, Agglomeration and Transportation Policies," CEPR Discussion Papers 2309, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2004. "Evidence on the nature and sources of agglomeration economies," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2119-2171 Elsevier.
- Kenneth A. Small & Clifford Winston & Jia Yan, 2005. "Uncovering the Distribution of Motorists' Preferences for Travel Time and Reliability," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1367-1382, 07.
- Michel, P. & Perrot, A. & Thisse, J.-F., .
"Interregional equilibrium with heterogeneous labor,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1194, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Philippe Michel & Anne Perrot & Jacques-François Thisse, 1996. "Interregional equilibrium with heterogeneous labor," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 95-113, February.
- Rappaport, Jordan, 2008.
"A productivity model of city crowdedness,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 715-722, March.
- Van Ommeren, Jos & Fosgerau, Mogens, 2009.
"Workers' marginal costs of commuting,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 38-47, January.
- Arnott, Richard J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1981.
"Aggregate Land Rents and Aggregate Transport Costs,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(362), pages 331-47, June.
- Richard J. Arnott & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1980. "Aggregate Land Rents and Aggregate Transport Costs," NBER Working Papers 0523, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthias Wrede, 2000. "Tax Deductibility of Commuting Expenses and Leisures: On the Tax Treatment of Time-Saving Expenditure," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 57(2), pages 216-, March.
- Wrede, Matthias, 2001. "Should Commuting Expenses Be Tax Deductible? A Welfare Analysis," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 80-99, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_2321. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.