Subsidies for Intracity and Intercity Commuting
This paper analyzes subsidies for intracity and intercity commuting in an urban economics framework with two cities and agglomeration externalities, where workers may commute within and between cities. First, commuting subsidies serve to internalize agglomeration externalities: Intracity commuting subsidies give incentives to move to the larger city and intercity commuting subsidies make residents of the periphery commute to the core. Second, if agglomeration rents are locally captured, commuting subsidies act as a welfare enhancing transfer from the core to the periphery.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2005. "Transport subsidies, system choice, and urban sprawl," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 715-733, November.
- J.V. Henderson, 1972.
"The Sizes and Types of Cities,"
75, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2004. "Evidence on the nature and sources of agglomeration economies," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2119-2171 Elsevier.
- Duranton, Gilles & Puga, Diego, 2004.
"Micro-foundations of urban agglomeration economies,"
Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,
in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 48, pages 2063-2117
- Giles Duranton & Diego Puga, 2003. "Micro-Foundations of Urban Agglomeration Economies," NBER Working Papers 9931, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duranton, Gilles & Puga, Diego, 2003. "Microfoundations of Urban Agglomeration Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 4062, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wrede, Matthias, 2001. "Should Commuting Expenses Be Tax Deductible? A Welfare Analysis," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 80-99, January.
- Michel, P. & Perrot, A. & Thisse, J.-F., .
"Interregional equilibrium with heterogeneous labor,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1194, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Philippe Michel & Anne Perrot & Jacques-François Thisse, 1996. "Interregional equilibrium with heterogeneous labor," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 95-113, February.
- Rainald Borck & Michael Pflüger & Matthias Wrede, 2010.
"A simple theory of industry location and residence choice,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 10(6), pages 913-940, November.
- Borck, Rainald & Pflüger, Michael P. & Wrede, Matthias, 2007. "A Simple Theory of Industry Location and Residence Choice," IZA Discussion Papers 2862, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Borck, Rainald & Wrede, Matthias, 2008. "Commuting subsidies with two transport modes," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 841-848, May.
- Zenou, Yves, 2000.
"Urban unemployment, agglomeration and transportation policies,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 97-133, July.
- Zenou, Yves, 1999. "Urban Unemployment, Agglomeration and Transportation Policies," CEPR Discussion Papers 2309, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jordan Rappaport, 2006.
"A productivity model of city crowdedness,"
Research Working Paper
RWP 06-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Matthias Wrede, 2000. "Tax Deductibility of Commuting Expenses and Leisures: On the Tax Treatment of Time-Saving Expenditure," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 57(2), pages 216-, March.
- Kenneth A. Small & Clifford Winston & Jia Yan, 2005. "Uncovering the Distribution of Motorists' Preferences for Travel Time and Reliability," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1367-1382, 07.
- Rainald Borck & Matthias Wrede, 2004. "Political Economy of Commuting Subsidies," CESifo Working Paper Series 1339, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2003. "Transport Subsidies, System Choice, and Urban Sprawl," CESifo Working Paper Series 1090, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rainald Borck & Matthias Wrede, 2007. "Commuting Subsidies with two Transport Modes," CESifo Working Paper Series 1972, CESifo Group Munich.
- van Ommeren, Jos & Fosgerau, Mogens, 2008.
"Workers' marginal costs of commuting,"
12010, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rainald Borck & Matthias Wrede, 2004.
"Political Economy of Commuting Subsidies,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
445, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Abdel-Rahman, Hesham M. & Anas, Alex, 2004.
"Theories of systems of cities,"
Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,
in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 52, pages 2293-2339
- Daniel J. Graham, 2007. "Agglomeration Economies and Transport Investment," OECD/ITF Joint Transport Research Centre Discussion Papers 2007/11, OECD Publishing.
- Richard J. Arnott & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1980.
"Aggregate Land Rents and Aggregate Transport Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
0523, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arnott, Richard J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1981. "Aggregate Land Rents and Aggregate Transport Costs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(362), pages 331-47, June.
- Zax, Jeffrey S., 1991. "Compensation for commutes in labor and housing markets," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 192-207, September.
- Richard Arnott, 2007.
"Congestion Tolling with Agglomeration Externalities,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
660, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Arnott, Richard, 2007. "Congestion tolling with agglomeration externalities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 187-203, September.
- Stefan Bach, 2003. "Entfernungspauschale: Kürzung gerechtfertigt," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 70(40), pages 602-608.
- Myers & G.M., 1989.
"Optimality, Free Mobility And The Regional Authority In Federation,"
10, John Deutsch Institute for the Study of Economic Policy.
- Myers, Gordon M., 1990. "Optimality, free mobility, and the regional authority in a federation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 107-121, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_2321. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.