Exchange Rate Risk: Heads or Tails
More than forty years ago researchers started to reconsider the behavior of financial data. Since then, stylized facts about financial returns have become common knowledge in economics. Characteristics as fat-tailedness, leptokurtosis and serial dependence have been extensively analyzed. As the financial world became focused on risk management and prudential supervision, various risk models have been developed. However, the first generation of risk models is highly dependent on rough assumptions, empirically contradicted, but embraced by practitioners as they benefit from a fairly easy implementation. In the context of market risk, such a proxy was developed under the name of Value at Risk, which rapidly became a standard measure for both risk managers and supervisors. The current state of affairs brings us one step closer to the death of VaR. The need for a new approach is imperative. This paper aims to bring new evidence to the limited performance of Value at Risk and test the fit of Extreme Value Theory as a complementary risk management tool for stressed market conditions, in the context of exchange rate risk. We use exchange rate returns of four currencies against the Euro and analyze the relative performance of several VaR models and Extreme Value Theory, respectively. We show that in extreme market conditions, extreme measures are required, and that no single measure can perform proper for both the centre and the tails of an exchange rate distribution.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6 ROMANA PLACE, 70167 - BUCHAREST|
Web page: http://www.dofin.ase.ro/carfib/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Cotter, 2005.
"Tail behaviour of the euro,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(7), pages 827-840.
- John Cotter, 2011. "Tail Behaviour of the Euro," Papers 1103.5418, arXiv.org.
- Cotter, John, 2004. "Tail Behaviour of the Euro," MPRA Paper 3531, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2005.
- John Cotter, 2011. "Tail Behaviour of the Euro," Working Papers 200417, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Huisman, Ronald, et al, 2001. "Tail-Index Estimates in Small Samples," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 208-16, April.
- Colander, David C. & Föllmer, Hans & Haas, Armin & Goldberg, Michael & Kirman, Alan & Jusélius, Katarina & Lux, Thomas & Sloth, Brigitte, 2009.
"The financial crisis and the systemic failure of academic economics,"
Kiel Working Papers
1489, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- D. COLANDER & al., 2010. "The Financial Crisis and the Systemic Failure of Academic Economics," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 6.
- David Colander & Hans Föllmer & Armin Haas & Michael Goldberg & Katarina Juselius & Alan Kirman & Thomas Lux & Brigitte Sloth, 2009. "The Financial Crisis and the Systemic Failure of Academic Economics," Kiel Working Papers 1489, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- David Colander & Hans Föllmer & Armin Haas & Michael Goldberg & Katarina Juselius & Alan Kirman & Thomas Lux & Brigitte Sloth, 2009. "The Financial Crisis and the Systemic Failure of Academic Economics," Middlebury College Working Paper Series 0901, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- David Colander & Hans Föllmer & Armin Haas & Michael Goldberg & Katarina Juselius & Alan Kirman & Thomas Lux & Birgitte Sloth, 2009. "The Financial Crisis and the Systemic Failure of Academic Economics," Discussion Papers 09-03, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Cotter, John & Dowd, Kevin, 2007.
"The tail risks of FX return distributions: a comparison of the returns associated with limit orders and market orders,"
3493, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cotter, John & Dowd, Kevin, 2007. "The tail risks of FX return distributions: A comparison of the returns associated with limit orders and market orders," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 146-154, September.
- john cotter & kevin dowd, 2011. "The tail risks of FX return distributions: a comparison of the returns associated with limit orders and market orders," Papers 1103.5661, arXiv.org.
- Engle, Robert F. & Manganelli, Simone, 2001. "Value at risk models in finance," Working Paper Series 0075, European Central Bank.
- Gencay, Ramazan & Selcuk, Faruk & Ulugulyagci, Abdurrahman, 2003. "High volatility, thick tails and extreme value theory in value-at-risk estimation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 337-356, October.
- Guy Kaplanski & Haim Levy, 2015. "Value-at-risk capital requirement regulation, risk taking and asset allocation: a mean-variance analysis," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(3), pages 215-241, February.
- Hols, Martien C A B & de Vries, Casper G, 1991. "The Limiting Distribution of Extremal Exchange Rate Returns," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 287-302, July-Sept.
- Jose Olmo & Jesus Gonzalo, 2004.
"Which Extreme Values are Really Extremes?,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
144, Econometric Society.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- Brooks, C. & Clare, A.D. & Dalle Molle, J.W. & Persand, G., 2005. "A comparison of extreme value theory approaches for determining value at risk," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 339-352, March.
- McNeil, Alexander J., 1997. "Estimating the Tails of Loss Severity Distributions Using Extreme Value Theory," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(01), pages 117-137, May.
- Michel Dacorogna & Peter Blum, 2003. "Extreme Moves in Foreign Exchange Rates and Risk Limit Setting," Risk and Insurance 0306004, EconWPA.
- Darryll Hendricks, 1996. "Evaluation of value-at-risk models using historical data," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 39-69.
- Einmahl, J. H.J. & Dekkers, A. L.M. & de Haan, L., 1989. "A moment estimator for the index of an extreme-value distribution," Other publications TiSEM 81970cb3-5b7a-4cad-9bf6-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cab:wpaefr:35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ciprian Necula)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.