Extreme Value Index Estimators and Smoothing Alternatives: A Critical Review
Extreme-value theory and corresponding analysis is an issue extensively applied in many different fields. The central point of this theory is the estimation of a parameter γ, known as the extreme-value index. In this paper we review several extreme-value index estimators, ranging from the oldest ones to the most recent developments. Moreover, some smoothing and robustifying procedures of these estimators are presented.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Einmahl, J. H.J. & Dekkers, A. L.M. & de Haan, L., 1989. "A moment estimator for the index of an extreme-value distribution," Other publications TiSEM 81970cb3-5b7a-4cad-9bf6-2, School of Economics and Management.
- Jon Danielsson & Casper G. de Vries, 1998. "Beyond the Sample: Extreme Quantile and Probability Estimation," FMG Discussion Papers dp298, Financial Markets Group.
- Olivier V. Pictet & Michel M. Dacorogna & Ulrich A. Muller, 1996. "Hill, Bootstrap and Jackknife Estimators for Heavy Tails," Working Papers 1996-12-10, Olsen and Associates.
- Dekkers, A. L. M. & Dehaan, L., 1993. "Optimal Choice of Sample Fraction in Extreme-Value Estimation," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 173-195, November.
- Drees, Holger & Kaufmann, Edgar, 1998. "Selecting the optimal sample fraction in univariate extreme value estimation," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 149-172, July.
- Peng, L., 1998. "Asymptotically unbiased estimators for the extreme-value index," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 107-115, June.
- M. I. Bar�o & J. A. Tawn, 1999. "Extremal analysis of short series with outliers: sea-levels and athletics records," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 48(4), pages 469-487.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-125712 is not listed on IDEAS
- Armelle Guillou & Peter Hall, 2001. "A diagnostic for selecting the threshold in extreme value analysis," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 63(2), pages 293-305.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:6390. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.