Using a Bootstrap Method to Choose the Sample Fraction in Tail Index Estimation
Tail index estimation depends for its accuracy on a precise choice of the sample fraction, i.e., the number of extreme order statistics on which the estimation is based. A complete solution to the sample fraction selection is given by means of a two-step subsample bootstrap method. This method adaptively determines the sample fraction that minimizes the asymptotic mean-squared error. Unlike previous methods, prior knowledge of the second-order parameter is not required. In addition, we are able to dispense with the need for a prior estimate of the tail index which already converges roughly at the optimal rate. The only arbitrary choice of parameters is the number of Monte Carlo replications.
Volume (Year): 76 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dennis Jansen & Casper de Vries, 1988.
"On the frequency of large stock returns: putting booms and busts into perspective,"
1989-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Jansen, Dennis W & de Vries, Casper G, 1991. "On the Frequency of Large Stock Returns: Putting Booms and Busts into Perspective," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 18-24, February.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Drees, Holger & Kaufmann, Edgar, 1998. "Selecting the optimal sample fraction in univariate extreme value estimation," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 149-172, July.
- Dekkers, A. L. M. & Dehaan, L., 1993. "Optimal Choice of Sample Fraction in Extreme-Value Estimation," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 173-195, November.
- Hall, Peter, 1990. "Using the bootstrap to estimate mean squared error and select smoothing parameter in nonparametric problems," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 177-203, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:76:y:2001:i:2:p:226-248. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.