A comparison of extreme value theory approaches for determining value at risk
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Brooks, C. & Clare, A. D. & Persand, G., 2000. "A word of caution on calculating market-based minimum capital risk requirements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1557-1574, October.
- Huisman, Ronald, et al, 2001. "Tail-Index Estimates in Small Samples," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 208-216, April.
- Broussard, John Paul, 2001. "Extreme-value and margin setting with and without price limits," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 365-385.
- Hsieh, David A., 1993. "Implications of Nonlinear Dynamics for Financial Risk Management," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 41-64, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ana-Maria Gavril, 2009. "Exchange Rate Risk: Heads or Tails," Advances in Economic and Financial Research - DOFIN Working Paper Series 35, Bucharest University of Economics, Center for Advanced Research in Finance and Banking - CARFIB.
- George Kouretas & Leonidas Zarangas, 2005. "Conditional autoregressive valu at risk by regression quantile: Estimatingmarket risk for major stock markets," Working Papers 0521, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- John Cotter & Kevin Dowd, 2010.
"Estimating financial risk measures for futures positions: A nonparametric approach,"
Journal of Futures Markets,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(7), pages 689-703, July.
- Cotter, John & Dowd, Kevin, 2007. "Estimating financial risk measures for futures positions: a non-parametric approach," MPRA Paper 3503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Cotter & Kevin Dowd, 2011. "Estimating Financial Risk Measures for Futures Positions:A Non-Parametric Approach," Working Papers 200613, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- john cotter & kevin dowd, 2011. "Estimating financial risk measures for futures positions: a non-parametric approach," Papers 1103.5666, arXiv.org.
- Ergün, A. Tolga & Jun, Jongbyung, 2010. "Time-varying higher-order conditional moments and forecasting intraday VaR and Expected Shortfall," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 264-272, August.
- Chrétien, Stéphane & Coggins, Frank, 2010. "Performance and conservatism of monthly FHS VaR: An international investigation," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 323-333, December.
- Abdoul G. Sam, 2010. "Nonparametric estimation of market risk: an application to agricultural commodity futures," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 70(2), pages 285-297, August.
- Marco Rocco, 2011. "Extreme value theory for finance: a survey," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 99, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Kole, Erik & Koedijk, Kees & Verbeek, Marno, 2007. "Selecting copulas for risk management," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2405-2423, August.
- Benjamin R. Auer & Benjamin Mögel, 2016. "How Accurate are Modern Value-at-Risk Estimators Derived from Extreme Value Theory?," CESifo Working Paper Series 6288, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dias, Alexandra, 2014. "Semiparametric estimation of multi-asset portfolio tail risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 398-408.
- Davide Ferrari & Sandra Paterlini, 2007.
"The Maximum Lq-Likelihood Method: an Application to Extreme Quantile Estimation in Finance,"
Center for Economic Research (RECent)
001, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Davide Ferrari & Sandra Paterlini, 2007. "The Maximum Lq-Likelihood Method: an Application to Extreme Quantile Estimation in Finance," Department of Economics 555, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Davide Ferrari & Sandra Paterlini, 2007. "The Maximum Lq-Likelihood Method: an Application to Extreme Quantile Estimation in Finance," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 07071, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Timotheos Angelidis & Alexandros Benos & Stavros Degiannakis, 2007.
"A robust VaR model under different time periods and weighting schemes,"
Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting,
Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 187-201, February.
- Angelidis, Timotheos & Benos, Alexandros & Degiannakis, Stavros, 2007. "A Robust VaR Model under Different Time Periods and Weighting Schemes," MPRA Paper 80466, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Timotheos Angelidis & Alexandros Benos, 2006. "Liquidity adjusted value-at-risk based on the components of the bid-ask spread," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(11), pages 835-851.
- Dias, Alexandra, 2013. "Market capitalization and Value-at-Risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5248-5260.
- Wei, Yu & Chen, Wang & Lin, Yu, 2013. "Measuring daily Value-at-Risk of SSEC index: A new approach based on multifractal analysis and extreme value theory," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(9), pages 2163-2174.
- Paolella, Marc S., 2017. "Asymmetric stable Paretian distribution testing," Econometrics and Statistics, Elsevier, vol. 1(C), pages 19-39.
- Chavez-Demoulin, V. & Embrechts, P. & Sardy, S., 2014. "Extreme-quantile tracking for financial time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 181(1), pages 44-52.
- Grazyna Trzpiot & Justyna Majewska, 2010. "Estimation of Value at Risk: Extreme value and robust approaches," Operations Research and Decisions, Wroclaw University of Technology, Institute of Organization and Management, vol. 1, pages 131-143.
- Safarian, Mher, 2013. "On portfolio risk estimation," Working Paper Series in Economics 52, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Department of Economics and Business Engineering.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:empfin:v:12:y:2005:i:2:p:339-352. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jempfin .