Horizontal and vertical integration in securities trading and settlement
This paper addresses a very European issue, the consolidation of securities trading and settlement infrastructures. In a two-country model, we analyse welfare implications of different types of consolidation. We find that horizontal integration of settlement systems is better than vertical integration of exchanges and settlement systems, but vertical integration is still better than no consolidation. These findings have clear policy implications with regard to the highly fragmented European securities infrastructure.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shy, Oz & Tarkka, Juha, 2001. "Stock exchange alliances, access fees and competition," Research Discussion Papers 22/2001, Bank of Finland.
- repec:reg:rpubli:279 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nicholas Economides & Robert A. Schwartz, 1993.
"Electronic Call Market Trading,"
93-19, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2003.
"Interlinking securities settlement systems: A strategic commitment?,"
Research Discussion Papers
26/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2007. "Interlinking securities settlement systems: A strategic commitment?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 2962-2977, October.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2005. "Interlinking securities settlement systems: a strategic commitment?," Working Paper Series 0427, European Central Bank.
- Nicholas Economides, 1995.
"The Economics of Networks,"
94-24, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics, revised Sep 1995.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1996. "The economics of networks," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 673-699, October.
- Nicholas Economides, 1997. "The Economics of Networks," Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 1(0), December.
- Domowitz, Ian, 1995. "Electronic derivatives exchanges: Implicit mergers, network externalities, and standardization," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 163-175.
- Koeppl, Thorsten Volker & Monnet, Cyril, 2004.
"Guess what: it's the settlements!,"
Working Paper Series
0375, European Central Bank.
- Holthausen, Cornelia & Tapking, Jens, 2007.
"Raising rival's costs in the securities settlement industry,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 91-116, January.
- Holthausen, Cornelia & Tapking, Jens, 2004. "Raising rival's costs in the securities settlement industry," Working Paper Series 0376, European Central Bank.
- Carmine di Noia, 1998. "Competition and Integration among Stock Exchanges in Europe: Network Effects, Implicit Mergers and Remote Access," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-03, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Schmiedel, Heiko & Malkamäki, Markku & Tarkka , Juha, 2002. "Economies of scale and technological development in securities depository and settlement systems," Research Discussion Papers 26/2002, Bank of Finland.
- Vickers, John, 1995. "Competition and Regulation in Vertically Related Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Patrick Rey & Jean Tirole, 1998. "Network Competition: II. Price Discrimination," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(1), pages 38-56, Spring.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1996. "Creating Competition through Interconnection: Theory and Practice," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 227-56, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:245. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Team)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.