Settling for efficiency - A framework for the European securities transaction industry
Despite a lot of re-structuring and many innovations in recent years, the securities transaction industry in the European Union is still a highly inefficient and inconsistently configured system for cross-border transactions. This paper analyzes the functions performed, the institutions involved and the parameters concerned that shape market and ownership structure in the industry. Of particular interest are microeconomic incentives of the main players that can be in contradiction to social welfare. We develop a framework and analyze three consistent systems for the securities transaction industry in the EU that offer superior efficiency than the current, inefficient arrangement. Some policy advice is given to select the 'best' system for the Single European Financial Market.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Competition Policy International, vol. 10.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bénédicte Vidaillet & V. D'Estaintot & P. Abécassis, 2005. "Introduction," Post-Print hal-00287137, HAL.
- Ian Giddy & Anthony Saunders & Ingo Walter, 1996. "Alternative models for clearance and settlement: the case of the single European capital market," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 986-1003.
- Schmiedel, Heiko & Malkamaki, Markku & Tarkka, Juha, 2006. "Economies of scale and technological development in securities depository and settlement systems," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1783-1806, June.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Malkamaki, Markku, 2001. "Are expansions cost effective for stock exchanges? A global perspective," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2339-2366, December.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Malkamäki, Markku, 2000. "Are expansions cost effective for stock exchanges? : A global perspective," Research Discussion Papers 20/2000, Bank of Finland.
- Tapking, Jens & Yang, Jing, 2006. "Horizontal and Vertical Integration in Securities Trading and Settlement," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(7), pages 1765-1795, October.
- Jens Tapking & Jing Yang, 2004. "Horizontal and vertical integration in securities trading and settlement," Bank of England working papers 245, Bank of England.
- Kahn, Charles M & McAndrews, James & Roberds, William, 2003. " Settlement Risk under Gross and Net Settlement," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(4), pages 591-608, August.
- Charles M. Kahn & James J. McAndrews & William Roberds, 1999. "Settlement risk under gross and net settlement," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 99-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Charles M. Kahn & James J. McAndrews & William Roberds, 1999. "Settlement risk under gross and net settlement," Staff Reports 86, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Giddy, Ian & Saunders, Anthony & Walter, Ingo, 1996. "Alternative Models for Clearance and Settlement: The Case of the Single European Capital Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 986-1000, November.
- Egon Franck & Carola Jungwirth, 2003. "Reconciling Rent-Seekers and Donators – The Governance Structure of Open Source," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 7(4), pages 401-421, December.
- De Bandt, Olivier & Hartmann, Philipp, 2000. "Systemic risk: A survey," Working Paper Series 0035, European Central Bank.