Optimal CSD reshaping towards T2S
T2S is the single and harmonised IT platform for securities settlement in central bank money developed by the Eurosystem to promote integration in the European post-trading industry, and will go live in 2015. CSDs joining T2S are thus faced with the decision problem of determining to which degree they should reshape, that is, adapt their own IT infrastructure, human resources and business strategy to T2S. A more complete reshaping entails higher immediate fixed costs, but allows to benefit the most from the cost-reduction allowed by T2S. In this article we use a game theoretic approach to model the strategic choice of the CSDs. We then derive several results from this model. In particular, we give closed-form solutions for the degree of optimal reshaping and the optimal prices set in the unique equilibrium if the time-horizon is finite. In case of an infinite horizon we give a sufficient and necessary condition for the existence of another subgame perfect Nash equilibrium in which CSDs continually delay the decision to reshape. We argue this equilibrium is not robust and provide a condition under which a given CSD will always reshape, whatever the other CSDs’ strategy. We note that by adjusting the cost function and the interpretation of the reshaping parameter, the same game theoretic framework can be used to model the decision to join or not to join T2S. JEL Classification: G10, G20, L11
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marie-Noëlle Calès & Dominique Chabert & Walid Hichri & Nadège Marchand, 2011.
"The reform of European securities settlement systems : Towards an integrated financial market,"
- Marie-Noëlle Calès & Dominique Chabert & Walid Hichri & Nadège Marchand, 2011. "The reform of European securities settlement systems: Towards an integrated financial market," Working Papers 1129, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Cherbonnier, Frédéric & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2010.
"Vertical Integration and Regulation in the Securities Settlement Industry,"
TSE Working Papers
10-239, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Cherbonnier, Frédéric & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2010. "Vertical Integration and Regulation in the Securities Settlement Industry," IDEI Working Papers 663, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Friedman, James W, 1971. "A Non-cooperative Equilibrium for Supergames," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(113), pages 1-12, January.
- Tapking, Jens & Yang, Jing, 2006.
"Horizontal and Vertical Integration in Securities Trading and Settlement,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(7), pages 1765-1795, October.
- Tapking, Jens & Yang, Jing, 2004. "Horizontal and vertical integration and securities trading and settlement," Working Paper Series 0387, European Central Bank.
- Jens Tapking & Jing Yang, 2004. "Horizontal and vertical integration in securities trading and settlement," Bank of England working papers 245, Bank of England.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2003.
"Interlinking securities settlement systems: A strategic commitment?,"
Research Discussion Papers
26/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2007. "Interlinking securities settlement systems: A strategic commitment?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 2962-2977, October.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2005. "Interlinking securities settlement systems: a strategic commitment?," Working Paper Series 0427, European Central Bank.
- Cambini, Carlo & Valletti, Tommaso, 2003.
"Investments and Network Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3829, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 1988. "A Theory of Dynamic Oligopoly, II: Price Competition, Kinked Demand Curves, and Edgeworth Cycles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(3), pages 571-99, May.
- Nicholas Economides, 1997.
"The Economics of Networks,"
Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics,
Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 1(0), December.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2003. "Price Regulation of Access to Telecommunications Networks," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(3), pages 830-862, September.
- Günter Knieps, 2006. "Competition in the Post-Trade Markets: A Network Economic Analysis of the Securities Business," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 45-60, March.
- Charles H. Fine & Robert M. Freund, 1990. "Optimal Investment in Product-Flexible Manufacturing Capacity," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(4), pages 449-466, April.
- Matutes, Carmen & Padilla, A. Jorge, 1994. "Shared ATM networks and banking competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 1113-1138, May.
- Holthausen, Cornelia & Tapking, Jens, 2004.
"Raising rival's costs in the securities settlement industry,"
Working Paper Series
0376, European Central Bank.
- Holthausen, Cornelia & Tapking, Jens, 2007. "Raising rival's costs in the securities settlement industry," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 91-116, January.
- Milne, Alistair, 2007. "The industrial organization of post-trade clearing and settlement," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 2945-2961, October.
- Spence, Michael, 1984. "Cost Reduction, Competition, and Industry Performance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 101-21, January.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, March.
- Vickers, John, 1995. "Competition and Regulation in Vertically Related Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Koppl, Thorsten V. & Monnet, Cyril, 2007. "Guess what: It's the settlements! Vertical integration as a barrier to efficient exchange consolidation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 3013-3033, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20131549. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.