Interlinking securities settlement systems: A strategic commitment?
Central securities depositories (CSDs) have opened mutual links, but most of them are seldom used.Why are idle links established? By allowing a foreign CSD to offer services through the link the domestic CSD invites competition.The domestic CSD can determine the cost efficiency of the rival by charging suitable fees, and prevent it from becoming more competitive than the domestic CSD.By inviting the competitor the domestic CSD can commit itself not to charge monopoly fees for secondary market services.This enables the domestic CSD to charge high fees in the primary market without violating investors participation constraints. Key words: securities settlement systems, central securities depositories, network industries, access pricing JEL classification numbers: G29, L13
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yanelle, Marie-Odile, 1989. "The strategic analysis of intermediation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(2-3), pages 294-301, March.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2005.
"Interlinking securities settlement systems: a strategic commitment?,"
Working Paper Series
0427, European Central Bank.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2007. "Interlinking securities settlement systems: A strategic commitment?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 2962-2977, October.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2003. "Interlinking securities settlement systems : A strategic commitment?," Research Discussion Papers 26/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Armstrong, Mark, 1997. "Competition in Telecommunications," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 64-82, Spring.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Competition Policy International, vol. 10, pages -.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja, 2004.
"Friedman’s money supply rule vs optimal interest rate policy,"
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja, 2003. "Friedman's Money Supply Rule vs. Optimal Interest Rate Policy," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(5), pages 550-566, November.
- Evans, George W. & Honkapohja, Seppo, 2003. "Friedman's money supply rule vs optimal interest rate policy," Research Discussion Papers 10/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Holthausen, Cornelia & Tapking, Jens, 2007.
"Raising rival's costs in the securities settlement industry,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 91-116, January.
- Holthausen, Cornelia & Tapking, Jens, 2004. "Raising rival's costs in the securities settlement industry," Working Paper Series 0376, European Central Bank.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1994.
"Access pricing and competition,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 1673-1710, December.
- J-J. Laffont & J. Tirole, 1994. "Access Pricing and Competition," Working papers 95-11, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "Access Pricing and Competition," Working papers 94-31, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Heiko Schmiedel & Andreas Schönenberger, 2005. "Integration of securities market infrastructures in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 33, European Central Bank.
- Samu Peura & Esa Jokivuolle, 2004. "Simulation-based stress testing of banks’ regulatory capital adequacy," Finance 0405003, EconWPA.
- Xavier Freixas, 2004. "The Assessment: European Financial Integration," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(4), pages 475-489, Winter.
- Nicholas Economides, 1997.
"Network Externalities, Complementarities, and Invitations to Enter,"
- Economides, Nicholas, 1996. "Network externalities, complementarities, and invitations to enter," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 211-233, September.
- Park, Yong-Sam & Ahn, Byong-Hun, 1999. "Joint ownership and interconnection pricing in network industries," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 183-198, June.
- Shy,Oz, 2001.
"The Economics of Network Industries,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521800952, October.
- Claude Crampes & Jean-Jaques Laffont, 2001. "Transport Pricing in the Electricity Industry," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(3), pages 313-328.
- Barclay, Michael J. & Kandel, Eugene & Marx, Leslie M., 1998. "The Effects of Transaction Costs on Stock Prices and Trading Volume," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 130-150, April.
- Schmiedel, Heiko & Malkamäki, Markku & Tarkka, Juha, 2002. "Economies of scale and technological development in securities depository and settlement systems," Research Discussion Papers 26/2002, Bank of Finland.
- Schmiedel, Heiko & Malkamaki, Markku & Tarkka, Juha, 2006. "Economies of scale and technological development in securities depository and settlement systems," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1783-1806, June.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2001. "Competing cybermediaries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 797-808, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:31:y:2007:i:10:p:2962-2977. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.