Retirement patterns of couples in Europe
In this paper we study the retirement patterns of couples in a multi-country setting using data from the Survey of Health, Aging and Retirement in Europe. In particular, we test whether women’s (men’s) transitions out of the labor force are causally related to the actual realization of their husbands’ (wives’) transition, using the institutional variation in country-speciﬁc early and full statutory retirement ages to instrument the latter. Exploiting the discontinuities in retirement behavior across countries, we ﬁnd a signiﬁcant joint retirement effect, especially for women, of around 16 to 18 percentage points. For men, we ﬁnd a similar but less precise effect. Our empirical strategy allows us to give a causal interpretation to the effect we estimate. In addition, this effect has important implications for policy analysis.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.bde.es/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Courtney C. Coile, 2004. "Health Shocks and Couples' Labor Supply Decisions," NBER Working Papers 10810, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bo Honoré & Áureo de Paula, 2013.
"Interdependent durations in joint retirement,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP05/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Bo Honoré & Áureo de Paula, 2011. "Interdependent Durations in Joint Retirement," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2011-5, Center for Retirement Research, revised Feb 2011.
- Bo Honoré & Áureo de Paula, 2014. "Interdependent durations in joint retirement," CeMMAP working papers CWP08/14, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Michael Hurd & Pierre-Carl Michaud & Susann Rohwedder, 2008. "Using International Micro Data to Learn about Individuals' Responses to Changes in Social Insurance," Working Papers 626, RAND Corporation.
- Guido Imbens & Thomas Lemieux, 2007.
"Regression Discontinuity Designs: A Guide to Practice,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Lemieux, Thomas, 2008. "Regression discontinuity designs: A guide to practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 615-635, February.
- Guido Imbens & Thomas Lemieux, 2007. "Regression Discontinuity Designs: A Guide to Practice," NBER Working Papers 13039, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stancanelli, Elena G. F., 2012. "Spouses' Retirement and Hours Outcomes: Evidence from Twofold Regression Discontinuity with Differences-in-Differences," IZA Discussion Papers 6791, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michaud, Pierre-Carl & Vermeulen, Frederic, 2004.
"A Collective Retirement Model: Identification and Estimation in the Presence of Externalities,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1294, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michaud, P.C. & Vermeulen, F.M.P., 2004. "A Collective Retirement Model : Identification and Estimation in the Presence of Externalities," Discussion Paper 2004-75, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Fevang, Elisabeth & Kverndokk, Snorre & Røed, Knut, 2008.
"Informal Care and Labor Supply,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3717, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas Steinmeier, 2009. "Integrating Retirement Models," NBER Working Papers 15607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Coe, Norma B. & Zamarro, Gema, 2011.
"Retirement effects on health in Europe,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 77-86, January.
- Gustman, Alan L & Steinmeier, Thomas L, 2000. "Retirement in Dual-Career Families: A Structural Model," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 503-45, July.
- Michaud, Pierre-Carl, 2003.
"Joint Labour Supply Dynamics of Older Couples,"
IZA Discussion Papers
832, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ruhm, Christopher J., 1996.
"Do pensions increase the labor supply of older men?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 157-175, February.
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 1994. "Do Pensions Increase the Labor Supply of Older Men?," NBER Working Papers 4925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00755648 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hurd, Michael D, 1990. "Research on the Elderly: Economic Status, Retirement, and Consumption and Saving," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(2), pages 565-637, June.
- Erich Battistin & Agar Brugiavini & Enrico Rettore & Guglielmo Weber, 2008.
"The retirement consumption puzzle: evidence from a regression discontinuity approach,"
IFS Working Papers
W08/05, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Erich Battistin & Agar Brugiavini & Enrico Rettore & Guglielmo Weber, 2009. "The Retirement Consumption Puzzle: Evidence from a Regression Discontinuity Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(5), pages 2209-26, December.
- Agar Brugiavini & Erich Battistin, & Enrico Rettore & Guglielmo Weber, 2007. "The Retirement Consumption Puzzle: Evidence from a Regression Discontinuity Approach," Working Papers 2007_27, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Elena Stancanelli, 2012.
"Spouses' Retirement and Hours of Work Outcomes: Evidence from Twofold Regression Discontinuity,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
12074, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Elena Stancanelli, 2012. "Spouses' Retirement and Hours of Work Outcomes : Evidence from Twofold Regression Discontinuity," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00755648, HAL.
- David M, Blau & Donna B, Gilleskie, 2003.
"Health Insurance and Retirement of Married Couples,"
2003-41, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Donna B. Gilleskie & David M. Blau, 2006. "Health insurance and retirement of married couples," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(7), pages 935-953.
- Currie, Janet & Madrian, Brigitte C., 1999.
"Health, health insurance and the labor market,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 50, pages 3309-3416
- William E. Even & David A. Macpherson, 1994. "Gender Differences in Pensions," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(2), pages 555-587.
- Wilbert van der Klaauw, 2008. "Regression-Discontinuity Analysis: A Survey of Recent Developments in Economics," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 22(2), pages 219-245, 06.
- Laura Crespo, 2006. "Caring For Parents And Employment Status Of European Mid-Life Women," Working Papers wp2006_0615, CEMFI.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:wpaper:1317. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (María Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de España)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.