Retirement Patterns of Couples in Europe
In this paper we study the retirement patterns of couples in a multi-country setting using data from the Survey of Health, Aging and Retirement in Europe. In particular we test whether women's (men's) transitions out of the labor force are directly related to the actual realization of their husbands' (wives') transition, using the institutional variation in country-specific early and full statutory retirement ages to instrument the latter. Exploiting the discontinuities in retirement behavior across countries, we find a significative joint retirement effect for women of 21 percentage points. For men, the estimated effect is insignificant. Our empirical strategy allows us to give a causal interpretation to the effect we estimate. In addition, this effect has important implications for policy analysis.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Publication status:||published in: IZA Journal of European Labor Studies, 3:12, 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fevang, Elisabeth & Kvrendokk, Snorre & Røed, Knut, 2009.
"Informal Care and Labor Supply,"
HERO On line Working Paper Series
2008:8, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 1994.
"Do Pensions Increase the Labor Supply of Older Men?,"
NBER Working Papers
4925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ruhm, Christopher J., 1996. "Do pensions increase the labor supply of older men?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 157-175, February.
- Bo Honoré & Áureo de Paula, 2013.
"Interdependent durations in joint retirement,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP05/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Bo Honoré & Áureo de Paula, 2014. "Interdependent durations in joint retirement," CeMMAP working papers CWP08/14, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Bo Honoré & Áureo de Paula, 2011. "Interdependent Durations in Joint Retirement," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2011-5, Center for Retirement Research, revised Feb 2011.
- William E. Even & David A. Macpherson, 1994. "Gender Differences in Pensions," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(2), pages 555-587.
- Gustman, Alan L & Steinmeier, Thomas L, 2000. "Retirement in Dual-Career Families: A Structural Model," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 503-45, July.
- Michaud, Pierre-Carl & Vermeulen, Frederic, 4/09.
"A Collective Retirement Model: Identification and Estimation in the Presence of Externalities,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1294, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michaud, P.C. & Vermeulen, F.M.P., 2004. "A Collective Retirement Model : Identification and Estimation in the Presence of Externalities," Discussion Paper 2004-75, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Donna B. Gilleskie & David M. Blau, 2006.
"Health insurance and retirement of married couples,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(7), pages 935-953.
- David M, Blau & Donna B, Gilleskie, 2003. "Health Insurance and Retirement of Married Couples," Working Papers 2003-41, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00755648 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas Steinmeier, 2009. "Integrating Retirement Models," NBER Working Papers 15607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Agar Brugiavini & Erich Battistin, & Enrico Rettore & Guglielmo Weber, 2007.
"The Retirement Consumption Puzzle: Evidence from a Regression Discontinuity Approach,"
2007_27, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Erich Battistin & Agar Brugiavini & Enrico Rettore & Guglielmo Weber, 2009. "The Retirement Consumption Puzzle: Evidence from a Regression Discontinuity Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(5), pages 2209-26, December.
- Erich Battistin & Agar Brugiavini & Enrico Rettore & Guglielmo Weber, 2008. "The retirement consumption puzzle: evidence from a regression discontinuity approach," IFS Working Papers W08/05, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Elena Stancanelli, 2/11.
"Spouses' Retirement and Hours of Work Outcomes : Evidence from Twofold Regression Discontinuity,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Elena Stancanelli, 2012. "Spouses' Retirement and Hours of Work Outcomes: Evidence from Twofold Regression Discontinuity," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12074, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Janet Currie & Brigitte C. Madrian, 1998.
"Health, Health Insurance and the Labor Market,"
JCPR Working Papers
27, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Lemieux, Thomas, 2008.
"Regression discontinuity designs: A guide to practice,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 615-635, February.
- Guido Imbens & Thomas Lemieux, 2007. "Regression Discontinuity Designs: A Guide to Practice," NBER Technical Working Papers 0337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido Imbens & Thomas Lemieux, 2007. "Regression Discontinuity Designs: A Guide to Practice," NBER Working Papers 13039, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stancanelli, Elena G. F., 2/08. "Spouses' Retirement and Hours Outcomes: Evidence from Twofold Regression Discontinuity with Differences-in-Differences," IZA Discussion Papers 6791, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Laura Crespo, 2006. "Caring For Parents And Employment Status Of European Mid-Life Women," Working Papers wp2006_0615, CEMFI.
- Norma B. Coe & Gema Zamarro, 2008.
"Retirement Effects on Health in Europe,"
588, RAND Corporation.
- Hurd, Michael D, 1990. "Research on the Elderly: Economic Status, Retirement, and Consumption and Saving," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(2), pages 565-637, June.
- Michael Hurd & Pierre-Carl Michaud & Susann Rohwedder, 2008. "Using International Micro Data to Learn about Individuals' Responses to Changes in Social Insurance," Working Papers 626, RAND Corporation.
- Wilbert van der Klaauw, 2008. "Regression-Discontinuity Analysis: A Survey of Recent Developments in Economics," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 22(2), pages 219-245, 06.
- Michaud, Pierre-Carl, 3/07.
"Joint Labour Supply Dynamics of Older Couples,"
IZA Discussion Papers
832, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Courtney C. Coile, 2004. "Health Shocks and Couples' Labor Supply Decisions," NBER Working Papers 10810, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7926. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.