Retirement Patterns of Couples in Europe
In this paper we study the retirement patterns of couples in a multi-country setting using data from the Survey of Health, Aging and Retirement in Europe. In particular we test whether women's (men's) transitions out of the labor force are directly related to the actual realization of their husbands' (wives') transition, using the institutional variation in country-specific early and full statutory retirement ages to instrument the latter. Exploiting the discontinuities in retirement behavior across countries, we find a significative joint retirement effect for women of 21 percentage points. For men, the estimated effect is insignificant. Our empirical strategy allows us to give a causal interpretation to the effect we estimate. In addition, this effect has important implications for policy analysis.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: IZA Journal of European Labor Studies, 3:12, 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas Steinmeier, 2009. "Integrating Retirement Models," NBER Working Papers 15607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David M, Blau & Donna B, Gilleskie, 2003.
"Health Insurance and Retirement of Married Couples,"
2003-41, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Donna B. Gilleskie & David M. Blau, 2006. "Health insurance and retirement of married couples," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(7), pages 935-953.
- Guido Imbens & Thomas Lemieux, 2007.
"Regression Discontinuity Designs: A Guide to Practice,"
NBER Working Papers
13039, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Lemieux, Thomas, 2008. "Regression discontinuity designs: A guide to practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 615-635, February.
- Guido Imbens & Thomas Lemieux, 2007. "Regression Discontinuity Designs: A Guide to Practice," NBER Technical Working Papers 0337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ruhm, Christopher J., 1996.
"Do pensions increase the labor supply of older men?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 157-175, February.
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 1994. "Do Pensions Increase the Labor Supply of Older Men?," NBER Working Papers 4925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michaud, P.C., 2003.
"Joint Labour Supply Dynamics of Older Couples,"
2003-69, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Courtney C. Coile, 2004. "Health Shocks and Couples' Labor Supply Decisions," NBER Working Papers 10810, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Erich Battistin & Agar Brugiavini & Enrico Rettore & Guglielmo Weber, 2008.
"The retirement consumption puzzle: evidence from a regression discontinuity approach,"
IFS Working Papers
W08/05, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Erich Battistin & Agar Brugiavini & Enrico Rettore & Guglielmo Weber, 2009. "The Retirement Consumption Puzzle: Evidence from a Regression Discontinuity Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(5), pages 2209-26, December.
- Agar Brugiavini & Erich Battistin, & Enrico Rettore & Guglielmo Weber, 2007. "The Retirement Consumption Puzzle: Evidence from a Regression Discontinuity Approach," Working Papers 2007_27, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Currie, Janet & Madrian, Brigitte C., 1999.
"Health, health insurance and the labor market,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 50, pages 3309-3416
- Hurd, Michael D, 1990. "Research on the Elderly: Economic Status, Retirement, and Consumption and Saving," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(2), pages 565-637, June.
- Bo Honore & Aureo de Paula, 2014.
"Interdependent durations in joint retirement,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP08/14, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Bo Honore & Aureo de Paula, 2013. "Interdependent durations in joint retirement," CeMMAP working papers CWP05/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Bo Honoré & Áureo de Paula, 2011. "Interdependent Durations in Joint Retirement," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2011-5, Center for Retirement Research, revised Feb 2011.
- Elena Stancanelli, 2012.
"Spouses' Retirement and Hours of Work Outcomes : Evidence from Twofold Regression Discontinuity,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Elena Stancanelli, 2012. "Spouses' Retirement and Hours of Work Outcomes: Evidence from Twofold Regression Discontinuity," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12074, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Gustman, Alan L & Steinmeier, Thomas L, 2000. "Retirement in Dual-Career Families: A Structural Model," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 503-45, July.
- Laura Crespo, 2006. "Caring For Parents And Employment Status Of European Mid-Life Women," Working Papers wp2006_0615, CEMFI.
- Coe, Norma B. & Zamarro, Gema, 2011.
"Retirement effects on health in Europe,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 77-86, January.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00755648 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fevang, Elisabeth & Kvrendokk, Snorre & Røed, Knut, 2009.
"Informal Care and Labor Supply,"
HERO On line Working Paper Series
2008:8, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Wilbert van der Klaauw, 2008. "Regression-Discontinuity Analysis: A Survey of Recent Developments in Economics," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 22(2), pages 219-245, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7926. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.