Price-Induced Technical Progress in Italian Agriculture
In this paper we aim at investigating the price-induced innovation hypothesis in Italian agriculture. We generalize the framework of analysis proposed by Peeters and Surry (2000). The generalization includes a short-run specification of the dual technology as well as a quadratic spline in a time variable. We argue that the temporary equilibrium setting gives a more realistic representation of how relative prices may steer innovation and variable input bias over time, while the quadratic function has desirable properties with respect the splined variable, i.e., a more flexible treatment of exogenous technical change.;Results provide evidence in favour of price-induced innovation in Italian agriculture over the years 1951 to 1991.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazzale Martelli, 8, 60121 Ancona|
Phone: +39 071 220 7100
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://www.dises.univpm.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Colin G. Thirtle & David E. Schimmelpfennig & Robert E Townsend, 2002. "Induced Innovation in United States Agriculture, 1880–1990: Time Series Tests and an Error Correction Model," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 598-614.
- Esposti, Roberto & Pierani, Pierpaolo, 2000.
"Modelling technical change in Italian agriculture: a latent variable approach,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 22(3), April.
- Esposti, Roberto & Pierani, Pierpaolo, 2000. "Modelling technical change in Italian agriculture: a latent variable approach," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 261-270, April.
- Thirtle, C. & Townsend, R. & Zyl, J. van, 1998. "Testing the induced innovation hypothesis: an error correction model of South African agriculture," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 19(1-2), September.
- Roberto Esposti & Pierpaolo Pierani, 2006. "Price, private demand and optimal provision of public R&D investment: An application to Italian agriculture, 1960–1995," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 699-715, September.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E., 1994.
Staff General Research Papers Archive
881, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti, 2005. "Price-Conditional Technology," Microeconomics 0503003, EconWPA.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti, 1993. "Price-Conditional Technology," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 93-wp116, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Thirtle, C. & Townsend, R. & van Zyl, J., 1998. "Testing the induced innovation hypothesis: an error correction model of South African agriculture," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 19(1-2), pages 145-157, September.
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1988. "Quasi-Fixed Inputs in U.S. and Japanese Manufacturing: A Generalized Leontief Restricted Cost Function Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 275-87, May.
- A Oude Lansink & E Silva & S Stefanou, 2000. "Decomposing productivity growth allowing efficiency gains and price-induced technical progress," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(4), pages 497-518, December.
- Gatien, M.A. & Lasserre, P. & Ouellette, P., 1987.
"The Measurement of Productivity and Scarcity Rent: the Case of Asbestos in Canada,"
Cahiers de recherche
8747, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Lasserre, Pierre & Ouellette, Pierre, 1991. "The measurement of productivity and scarcity rents : The case of asbestos in Canada," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 287-312, June.
- Thirtle, Colin G, 1985. "The Microeconomic Approach to Induced Innovation: A Reformulation of the Hayami and Ruttan Model," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 53(3), pages 263-79, September.
- Paris, Quirino & Caputo, Michael R., 1995. "The Rhetoric Of Duality," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Hayami, Yujiro & Ruttan, Vernon W., 1969.
"Factor Prices And Technical Change In Agricultural Development: The United States And Japan, 1880-1960,"
14172, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Hayami, Yujiro & Ruttan, V W, 1970. "Factor Prices and Technical Change in Agricultural Development: The United States and Japan, 1880-1960," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(5), pages 1115-41, Sept.-Oct.
- Caputo, Michael R. & Paris, Quirino, 2004.
"An Atemporal Microeconomic Theory And An Empirical Test Of Price-Induced Technical Progress,"
11992, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Michael Caputo & Quirino Paris, 2005. "An Atemporal Microeconomic Theory and an Empirical Test of Price-Induced Technical Progress," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 259-281, November.
- Y. Khatri & C. Thirtle & R. Townsend, 1998. "Testing The Induced Innovation Hypothesis: An Application to UK Agriculture, 1953-90," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 1-28.
- Olmstead, Alan L & Rhode, Paul, 1993. "Induced Innovation in American Agriculture: A Reconsideration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(1), pages 100-118, February.
- Fernando S. Machado, 1995. "Testing The Induced Innovation Hypothesis Using Cointegration Analysis," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 349-360.
- Roberto Esposti & Pierpaolo Pierani, 2003. "Building the Knowledge Stock: Lags, Depreciation, and Uncertainty in R&D Investment and Link with Productivity Growth," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 33-58, January.
- Kohli, Ulrich, 1993. "A Symmetric Normalized Quadratic GNP Function and the U.S. Demand for Imports and Supply of Exports," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(1), pages 243-55, February.
- Ludo Peeters & Yves Surry, 2000. "Incorporating Price-Induced Innovation in a Symmetric Generalised McFadden Cost Function with Several Outputs," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 53-70, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anc:wpaper:275. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.