Price-induced technical progress in Italian agriculture
In this paper we aim at investigating the price-induced innovation hypothesis in Italian agriculture. We generalize the framework of analysis proposed by Peeters and Surry (2000). This generalization includes a short-run specification of the dual technology as well as a quadratic spline in a time variable. We argue that the temporary equilibrium setting gives a more realistic representation of how relative prices may steer innovation and variable input bias over time. The quadratic function has desirable properties with respect to the splined variable, i.e., a more flexible treatment of exogenous technical change. Results provide evidence in favour of the price-induced innovation in Italian agriculture from 1951 to 1991.
Volume (Year): 89 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4, Allée Adolphe Bobierre, CS 61103, 35011 Rennes Cedex|
Web page: http://www.necplus.eu/action/displayJournal?jid=RAE
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diewert, W E & Wales, T J, 1992. "Quadratic Spline Models for Producer's Supply and Demand Functions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(3), pages 705-722, August.
- Gatien, M.A. & Lasserre, P. & Ouellette, P., 1987.
"The Measurement of Productivity and Scarcity Rent: the Case of Asbestos in Canada,"
Cahiers de recherche
8747, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Lasserre, Pierre & Ouellette, Pierre, 1991. "The measurement of productivity and scarcity rents : The case of asbestos in Canada," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 287-312, June.
- Clark, J. Stephen & Klein, Kurt K. & Kerr, William A., 2003. "Fundamental And Induced Biases In Technological Change In Central Canadian Agriculture," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25874, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pierani, Pierpaolo & Rizzi, Pier Luigi, 2003. "Technology and efficiency in a panel of Italian dairy farms: an SGM restricted cost function approach," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 195-209, October.
- Giannis Karagiannis & W. Hartley Furtan, 1993. "Production Structure and Decomposition of Biased Technical Change: An Example from Canadian Agriculture," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 15(1), pages 21-37.
- Roberto ESPOSTI & Pierpaolo PIERANI, 2001. "Building the Knowledge Stock: Lags, Depreciation and Uncertainty in Agricultural R&D," Working Papers 145, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Kawagoe, Toshihiko & Otsuka, Keijiro & Hayami, Yujiro, 1986. "Induced Bias of Technical Change in Agriculture: The United States and Japan, 1880-1980," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 523-544, June.
- Fernando S. Machado, 1995. "Testing The Induced Innovation Hypothesis Using Cointegration Analysis," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 349-360.
- George Mergos & Giannis Karagiannis, 1997. "Sources Of Productivity Change Under Temporary Equilibrium And Application To Greek Agriculture," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 313-329.
- Roberto Esposti, 2003.
"Public R&D investment and cost structure in Italian agriculture, 1960--1995,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 509-537, December.
- Roberto ESPOSTI & Pierpaolo PIERANI, 2002. "Public R&D Investment and Cost Structure in Italian Agriculture 1960-1995," Working Papers 176, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Roberto Esposti & Pierpaolo Pierani, 2006. "Price, private demand and optimal provision of public R&D investment: An application to Italian agriculture, 1960–1995," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 699-715, September.
- Quirino Paris & Michael R. Caputo, 2001. "Price-induced technical progress and comparative statics," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(8), pages 1-8.
- Sunding, David & Zilberman, David, 2001. "The agricultural innovation process: Research and technology adoption in a changing agricultural sector," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 4, pages 207-261 Elsevier.
- Caputo, Michael R. & Paris, Quirino, 2004. "An Atemporal Microeconomic Theory And An Empirical Test Of Price-Induced Technical Progress," Working Papers 11992, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Colin G. Thirtle & David E. Schimmelpfennig & Robert E Townsend, 2002. "Induced Innovation in United States Agriculture, 1880–1990: Time Series Tests and an Error Correction Model," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 598-614.
- Y. Khatri & C. Thirtle & R. Townsend, 1998. "Testing The Induced Innovation Hypothesis: An Application to UK Agriculture, 1953-90," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 1-28.
- Kohli, Ulrich, 1993. "A Symmetric Normalized Quadratic GNP Function and the U.S. Demand for Imports and Supply of Exports," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(1), pages 243-255, February.
- Pierani, Pierpaolo & Rizzi, Pier Luigi, 2003. "Technology and efficiency in a panel of Italian dairy farms: an SGM restricted cost function approach," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 29(2), pages -, October.
- Thirtle, Colin G, 1985. "The Microeconomic Approach to Induced Innovation: A Reformulation of the Hayami and Ruttan Model," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 53(3), pages 263-279, September.
- Olmstead, Alan L & Rhode, Paul, 1993. "Induced Innovation in American Agriculture: A Reconsideration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(1), pages 100-118, February.
- Huffman, Wallace E. & Ball, E. & Gopinath, M. & Somwaru, A., 2002. "Public R&D and Infrastructure Policies: Effects on Cost of Midwestern Agriculture," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10431, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rae:jourae:v:89:y:2008:i:4:p:5-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Saux-Nogues)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.