Economic theorists for years have considered the possibility that the direction of technical change is altered by changes in relative prices. Prices have also been identified as one of the determinants of technical change through innovation. This paper extends the theory of the firm to cover situations in which the firm's technology set is conditional on expected prices. The basic idea is to distinguish between "market prices," or the prices that guide the firm's choices subject to the technology that is in place, and "normal prices," the prices conditioning the choice of technology. A "generalized" price effect is obtained that includes the traditional price effect as well as the technical change effect of price changes and an example is presented.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1994|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 1994, vol. 19 no. 1, pp. 161-172|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. E. Lucas, 1967. "Tests of a Capital-Theoretic Model of Technological Change," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(2), pages 175-189.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K., 1992.
"Prices and Productivity in Agriculture,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
543, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 1992. "Prices and Productivity in Agriculture," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 93-gatt2, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 1992. "Prices and Productivity in Agriculture," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 93-gatt2, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K., 1993. "Prices and Productivity in Agriculture," Staff General Research Papers Archive 773, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Chris Fawson & C. Richard Shumway & Robert L. Basmann, 1990. "Agricultural Production Technologies with Systematic and Stochastic Technical Change," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 72(1), pages 182-199.
- Basmann, R. L. & Hayes, K. J. & Slottje, D. J. & Molina, D. J., 1987. "A new method for measuring technological change," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 329-333.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:881. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.