The Rhetoric Of Duality
Agricultural economistsÂ’' view of duality has often assumed the characteristics of an ambivalent relation. During the eighties, several authors published papers which put in doubt this or that aspects of duality. This study emphasizes the notion that duality is a time-honored approach suitable for solving problems that can be expressed mathematically. Contrary to many assertions that appeared in the agricultural economics literature, duality does not seem to suffer from any theoretical limitations any more than does the formulation of the primal problem. The article presents two problems that can be solved with dual methods. The authors are incapable of deriving the same results using primal approach.
Volume (Year): 20 (1995)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caputo, Michael R., 1990. "A qualitative characterization of the competitive nonrenewable resource extracting firm," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 206-226, May.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti, 1993.
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
93-wp116, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Tatsuo Hatta, 1980. "Structure of the Correspondence Principle at an Extremum Point," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(5), pages 987-997.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, june. pag.
- Chambers,Robert G., 1988. "Applied Production Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314275, june. pag.
- Utpal Vasavada & Robert G. Chambers, 1986. "Investment in U.S. Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 68(4), pages 950-960.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:30933. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.