Incorporating Price-Induced Innovation in a Symmetric Generalised McFadden Cost Function with Several Outputs
This paper proposes a multiple-output Symmetric Generalised McFadden (SGM) cost function, incorporating both exogenous and endogenous technological change. Whilst exogenous technological change is captured by the usual time trend, endogenous or price-induced technological change is cast within a partial-adjustment framework involving lagged input prices. The study points to various dimensions or components of technological change, and allows to disentangle “pure” factor substitution, given the state of the technology, from factor substitution due to price-induced changes in technology. Under the conditions of non-jointness in input quantities, the model further allows to identify technological change biases for each output separately. An empirical application is presented in which the proposed model is applied to time-series data on the feed manufacturing industry in Belgium. To improve on the econometrics, the SGM cost function also incorporates linear splines. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peeters, Ludo & Surry, Yves, 1993. "Estimating feed utilisation matrices using a cost function approach," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 9(2), August.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kohli, Ulrich R, 1981. "Nonjointness and Factor Intensity in U.S. Production," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(1), pages 3-18, February.
- Diewert, W. E. & Wales, T. J., 1988. "A normalized quadratic semiflexible functional form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 327-342, March.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E., 1994.
Staff General Research Papers
881, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti, 1993. "Price-Conditional Technology," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 93-wp116, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti, 2005. "Price-Conditional Technology," Microeconomics 0503003, EconWPA.
- Ulrich Kohli, 1994. "Canadian Imports and Exports by Origin and Destination: A Semi-flexible Approach," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(3), pages 580-603, August.
- Hayami, Yujiro & Ruttan, Vernon W., 1969.
"Factor Prices And Technical Change In Agricultural Development: The United States And Japan, 1880-1960,"
14172, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Hayami, Yujiro & Ruttan, V W, 1970. "Factor Prices and Technical Change in Agricultural Development: The United States and Japan, 1880-1960," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(5), pages 1115-41, Sept.-Oct.
- Fernando S. Machado, 1995. "Testing The Induced Innovation Hypothesis Using Cointegration Analysis," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 349-360.
- Peeters, Ludo & Surry, Yves, 1993. "Estimating feed utilisation matrices using a cost function approach," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 109-126, August.
- Lasserre, Pierre & Ouellette, Pierre, 1991.
"The measurement of productivity and scarcity rents : The case of asbestos in Canada,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 287-312, June.
- Gatien, M.A. & Lasserre, P. & Ouellette, P., 1987. "The Measurement of Productivity and Scarcity Rent: the Case of Asbestos in Canada," Cahiers de recherche 8747, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Kohli, Ulrich, 1993. "A Symmetric Normalized Quadratic GNP Function and the U.S. Demand for Imports and Supply of Exports," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(1), pages 243-55, February.
- Rask, Kevin, 1995. "The Structure of Technology in Brazilian Sugarcane Production, 1975-87: An Application of a Modified Symmetric Generalized McFadden Cost Function," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(3), pages 221-32, July-Sept.
- Stevenson, Rodney, 1980. "Measuring Technological Bias," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(1), pages 162-73, March.
- Livernois, John R & Ryan, David L, 1989. "Testing for Non-jointness in Oil and Gas Exploration: A Variable Profit Function Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(2), pages 479-504, May.
- Peeters, Ludo, 1995. "Measuring Biases of Technical Change: The Case of Cereals Displacement in Livestock Ration Formulation in Belgium," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 22(2), pages 137-56.
- Krinsky, Itzhak & Robb, A Leslie, 1986. "On Approximating the Statistical Properties of Elasticities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(4), pages 715-19, November.
- Diewert, W E & Wales, T J, 1992. "Quadratic Spline Models for Producer's Supply and Demand Functions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(3), pages 705-22, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jproda:v:14:y:2000:i:1:p:53-70. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.