Analysis of Technical and Policy Changes for Belgian Dairy Farms Using an Estimated Augmented SGM Cost Function
This paper provides some evidence on the evolution of marginal and average costs of dairy farms in Belgium between 1990 and 2007. It investigates the effect of the 2003 Mid-Term Review by adding time trends and linear splines to an augmented multi-input multi-output symmetric generalized McFadden cost function and estimating it using a panel of Belgian dairy farms. Existence of size, scale and scope economies in the dairy sub-sector is also examined. This exercise increases our understanding of dairy farm responses to reforms and helps envision the possible effects of ending the milk quota system as it is now planned for 2015.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chambers,Robert G., 1988. "Applied Production Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314275, September.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1986. "Functional forms in econometric model building," Handbook of Econometrics,in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 26, pages 1515-1566 Elsevier.
- Bruno Henry de Frahan & Alexandre Baudry & Rembert De Blander & Philippe Polomé & Richard Howitt, 2011.
"Dairy farms without quotas in Belgium: estimation and simulation with a flexible cost function,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 469-495, October.
- Bruno Henry de Frahan & Philippe Polomé & Alexandre Baudry & Rembert De Blander & Richard Howitt, 2011. "Dairy farms without quotas in Belgium: estimation and simulation with a flexible cost function," Post-Print halshs-00651049, HAL.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae11:114546. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.