Imposing and testing curvature conditions on a Box-Cox function
We present a new method for imposing and testing concavity of a cost function using asymptotic least squares, which can easily be implemented even for cost functions which are nonlinear in parameters. We provide an illustration on the basis of a (generalized) Box-Cox cost function with six inputs: capital, labor disaggregated in three skill levels, energy, and intermediate materials. A parametric test of the concavity of the cost function in prices is presented, and price elasticities are compared when curvature conditions are imposed and when they are not. The results show that, although concavity is statistically rejected, the estimates are not very sensitive to its imposition. We find that substitution is stronger between the different types of labor than between any other pair of inputs.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
- B. Ripley & Philippa Pattison & Paul Thompson & Jan Leeuw & Ludovic Lebart & Brian Everitt & Roderick McDonald & Jeffrey Banfield & Richard Hathaway, 1990.
Journal of Classification,
Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 287-316, September.
- Paul Thompson & Keith Moore & William Rivera & Gary Green & Joel Schor & Richard Ryan & Jeffery Bentley & Bernard Ouden & William Browne, 1989. "Book reviews," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 62-80, September.
- Paul Thompson, 2008. "Book review," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 137-138, January.
- Roger Paden & Marilyn Holly & Paul Thompson & Carl Mitcham & Joel Schor & Nicholas Ellig & John Lyon & Carl Barfield & Clyde Kiker & Jeffrey Burkhardt & Miguel Altieri & Christopher Vecsey, 1986. "Book reviews," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 41-80, June.
- Wolfgang Härdle & Werner Hildenbrand & Michael Jerison, 1989.
"Empirical Evidence on the Law of Demand,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
264a, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Gagne, Robert & Ouellette, Pierre, 1998. "On the Choice of Functional Forms: Summary of a Monte Carlo Experiment," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(1), pages 118-24, January.
- Wooldridge, J.M., 1989.
"Some Aleternative To The Box-Cox Regression Model,"
534, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1987. "A Parametric Test of the Negativity of the Substitution Matrix," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(3), pages 227-35, July.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:8:y:1992:i:2:p:276-90 is not listed on IDEAS
- Haerdle,W. & Hart,J.D., 1989.
"A bootstrap test forpositive definiteness of income effect matrices,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
199, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Härdle, Wolfgang & Hart, Jeffrey D., 1992. "A Bootstrap Test for Positive Definiteness of Income Effect Matrices," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 276-292, June.
- Hardle, W. & Hart, J., 1990. "A bootstrap test for positive definiteness of income effect matrices," CORE Discussion Papers 1990053, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Badi H. Baltagi & James M. Griffin & Weiwen Xiong, 2000. "To Pool Or Not To Pool: Homogeneous Versus Hetergeneous Estimations Applied to Cigarette Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 117-126, February.
- Ryan, David L & Wales, Terence J, 1998. "A Simple Method for Imposing Local Curvature in Some Flexible Consumer-Demand Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 331-38, July.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1999.
"Imposing Local Curvature Conditions in Flexible Demand System,"
Staff General Research Papers
1745, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, Giancarlo, 1999. "Imposing Local Curvature Conditions in Flexible Demand Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(4), pages 487-90, October.
- Bertrand M. Koebel, 2002. "Can Aggregation Across Goods be Achieved by Neglecting The Problem? Property Inheritance and Aggregation Bias," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(1), pages 223-255, February.
- Dhrymes, Phoebus J., 1994. "Specification tests in simultaneous equations systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 45-76.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Holly, Alberto & Monfort, Alain, 1982. "Likelihood Ratio Test, Wald Test, and Kuhn-Tucker Test in Linear Models with Inequality Constraints on the Regression Parameters," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Ryan, David L. & Wales, Terence J., 2000. "Imposing local concavity in the translog and generalized Leontief cost functions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 253-260, June.
- Thompson, Peter & Taylor, Timothy G, 1995. "The Capital-Energy Substitutability Debate: A New Look," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(3), pages 565-69, August.
- Magnus, J.R., 1985. "On differentiating eigenvalues and eigenvectors," Other publications TiSEM f410e3a5-ba9b-4787-b8cc-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Magnus, Jan R., 1985. "On Differentiating Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(02), pages 179-191, August.
- Diewert, W E & Wales, T J, 1992. "Quadratic Spline Models for Producer's Supply and Demand Functions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(3), pages 705-22, August.
- Falk, Martin & Koebel, Bertrand M., 2000. "Outsourcing of services, imported materials and the demand for heterogeneous labour : an application of a generalised box-cox function," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-51, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Berman, Eli & Bound, John & Griliches, Zvi, 1994. "Changes in the Demand for Skilled Labor within U.S. Manufacturing: Evidence from the Annual Survey of Manufactures," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 367-97, May.
- Bergstrom, Villy & Panas, Epaminondas E, 1992. "How Robust Is the Capital-Skill Complementarity Hypothesis?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 540-46, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:5352. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.