Curvature conditions and substitution pattern among capital, energy, materials and heterogeneous labour
This study deals with the determinants of factor demand in 27 industries of the manufacturing sector during the period 1978 to 1990. Using a quadratic cost function, six production factors are distinguished : capital, energy, three types of labour and intermediate materials. A parametric test of the concavity of the cost function in prices is provided and price elasticities are compared when curvature conditions are imposed or not. The result show, firstly, that in general estimates do not appear very sensitive to imposing theoretical restrictions implied by optimising behaviour. Secondly, demand for unskilled and medium skilled labour than any other pairs of inputs.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Felix Fitzroy & Michael Funke, 1998. "Skills, Wages and Employment in East and West Germany," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(5), pages 459-467.
- Steiner, Viktor & Wagner, Kersten, 1997. "Relative Earnings and the Demand for Unskilled Labor in West German Manufacturing," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-17, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bergstrom, Villy & Panas, Epaminondas E, 1992. "How Robust Is the Capital-Skill Complementarity Hypothesis?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 540-46, August.
- HARDLE, Wolfgang & HILDENBRAND, Werner & JERISON, Michael, .
"Empirical evidence on the law of demand,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-968, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Haerdle,W. Hildenbrand,W. Jerison,M., 1988. "Empirical evidence on the law of demand," Discussion Paper Serie A 193, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Wolfgang Härdle & Werner Hildenbrand & Michael Jerison, 1989. "Empirical Evidence on the Law of Demand," Discussion Paper Serie A 264a, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Roger Paden & Marilyn Holly & Paul Thompson & Carl Mitcham & Joel Schor & Nicholas Ellig & John Lyon & Carl Barfield & Clyde Kiker & Jeffrey Burkhardt & Miguel Altieri & Christopher Vecsey, 1986.
Agriculture and Human Values,
Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 41-80, June.
- B. Ripley & Philippa Pattison & Paul Thompson & Jan Leeuw & Ludovic Lebart & Brian Everitt & Roderick McDonald & Jeffrey Banfield & Richard Hathaway, 1990. "Book reviews," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 287-316, September.
- Paul Thompson, 2008. "Book review," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 137-138, January.
- Paul Thompson & Keith Moore & William Rivera & Gary Green & Joel Schor & Richard Ryan & Jeffery Bentley & Bernard Ouden & William Browne, 1989. "Book reviews," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 62-80, September.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd, 1996. "Wages, prices, and international trade: Trends across industries for an "export champion"," Discussion Papers, Series II 323, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thompson, Peter & Taylor, Timothy G, 1995. "The Capital-Energy Substitutability Debate: A New Look," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(3), pages 565-69, August.
- Basu, Susanto & Fernald, John G, 1997.
"Returns to Scale in U.S. Production: Estimates and Implications,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 249-83, April.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 1996. "Returns to scale in U.S. production: estimates and implications," International Finance Discussion Papers 546, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gagne, Robert & Ouellette, Pierre, 1998. "On the Choice of Functional Forms: Summary of a Monte Carlo Experiment," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(1), pages 118-24, January.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Franz, Wolfgang, 1997. "Flexibilität der qualifikatorischen Lohnstruktur und Lastverteilung der Arbeitslosigkeit: Eine ökonometrische Analyse für Westdeutschland," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-32, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Shadman-Mehta, Fatemeh & Sneessens, Henri, 1995. "Skill Demand and Factor Substitution," CEPR Discussion Papers 1279, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Felix Fitzroy & Michael Funke, 1994.
"Capital-Skill Complementarity in West German Manufacturing,"
CRIEFF Discussion Papers
9408, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- FitzRoy, Felix & Funke, Michael, 1995. "Capital-Skill Complementarity in West German Manufacturing," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 651-65.
- Julian R. Betts, 1997. "The Skill Bias Of Technological Change In Canadian Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(1), pages 146-150, February.
- Berman, Eli & Bound, John & Griliches, Zvi, 1994. "Changes in the Demand for Skilled Labor within U.S. Manufacturing: Evidence from the Annual Survey of Manufactures," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 367-97, May.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1987. "A Parametric Test of the Negativity of the Substitution Matrix," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(3), pages 227-35, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:5221. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.