A note on Allen-Uzawa partial elasticities of substitution: the case of the translog cost function
This note provides a useful property of the Allen-Uzawa partials for the translog cost function. It also suggests how the main results extend to any functional form with certain properties. The curvature of the Allen-Uzawa matrix is the same as the curvature of the Hessian matrix. Intuitively and empirically, the Allen-Uzawa partials allow for the verification of curvature properties.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2009)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ryan, David L & Wales, Terence J, 1998. "A Simple Method for Imposing Local Curvature in Some Flexible Consumer-Demand Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 331-338, July.
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Moss, Charles B., 1993.
"Measuring Economies of Scale and Scope in Agricultural Banking,"
Proceedings: 1993 Regional Committee NC-207, October 4-5, 1993, Chicago, Illinois
131339, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Allen M. Featherstone & Charles B. Moss, 1994. "Measuring Economies of Scale and Scope in Agricultural Banking," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 76(3), pages 655-661.
- Anderson, R. K. & Moroney, J. R., 1993. "Morishima elasticities of substitution with nested production functions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 42(2-3), pages 159-166.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:16:y:2009:i:11:p:1165-1169. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.