Induced Innovation in the Agricultural Sector: Evidence From a State Panel
This paper uses recently developed panel cointegration techniques and error correction modeling to test the hypothesis of induced innovation in a state-level panel of U.S. agricultural production. These methods provide greatly improved power compared to conventional approaches. A 5-step testing procedure is used to test the induced innovation hypothesis based on a 2-stage CES production function with aggregate output and four input categories. For both pairs of inputs, the test fails to support the hypothesis of induced innovation at one or more of the critical steps.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fernando S. Machado, 1995. "Testing The Induced Innovation Hypothesis Using Cointegration Analysis," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 349-360.
- Kawagoe, Toshihiko & Otsuka, Keijiro & Hayami, Yujiro, 1986. "Induced Bias of Technical Change in Agriculture: The United States and Japan, 1880-1980," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 523-44, June.
- Harris, Richard D. F. & Tzavalis, Elias, 1999.
"Inference for unit roots in dynamic panels where the time dimension is fixed,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 201-226, August.
- Tom Doan, . "HTUNIT: RATS procedure to implement Harris-Tzavalis unit root test for panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Michael Aliber & Thomas L. Cox, 2000. "An Analysis Of The Source And Nature Of Technical Change: The Case Of U.S. Agriculture," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(3), pages 482-492, August.
- Thirtle, C. & Townsend, R. & Zyl, J. van, 1998. "Testing the induced innovation hypothesis: an error correction model of South African agriculture," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 19(1-2), September.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999. " Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Binswanger, Hans P., 1973.
"The Measurement Of Technical Change Biases With Many Factors Of Production,"
14205, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Binswanger, Hans P, 1974. "The Measurement of Technical Change Biases with Many Factors of Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 964-76, December.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- V. Eldon Ball & Charles Hallahan & Richard Nehring, 2004. "Convergence of Productivity: An Analysis of the Catch-up Hypothesis within a Panel of States," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1315-1321.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- V. Eldon Ball & Frank M. Gollop & Alison Kelly-Hawke & Gregory P. Swinand, 1999. "Patterns of State Productivity Growth in the U.S. Farm Sector: Linking State and Aggregate Models," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 164-179.
- Ahearn, Mary Clare, 2003. "Trends in Extension Resources," Amber Waves, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, April.
- Ahearn, Mary Clare & Yee, Jet & Bottum, John S., 2003. "Regional Trends In Extension System Resources," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33787, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Y. Khatri & C. Thirtle & R. Townsend, 1998. "Testing The Induced Innovation Hypothesis: An Application to UK Agriculture, 1953-90," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 1-28.
- Thirtle, C. & Townsend, R. & van Zyl, J., 1998. "Testing the induced innovation hypothesis: an error correction model of South African agriculture," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 19(1-2), pages 145-157, September.
- Colin G. Thirtle & David E. Schimmelpfennig & Robert E Townsend, 2002. "Induced Innovation in United States Agriculture, 1880–1990: Time Series Tests and an Error Correction Model," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 598-614.
- Isabelle Armanville & Peter Funk, 2003. "Induced innovation: an empirical test," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(15), pages 1627-1647.
- Alston, Julian M. & Craig, Barbara J. & Pardey, Philip G., 1998. "Dynamics in the creation and depreciation of knowledge, and the returns to research:," EPTD discussion papers 35, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Olmstead, Alan L & Rhode, Paul, 1993. "Induced Innovation in American Agriculture: A Reconsideration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(1), pages 100-118, February.
- Antle, John M., 1986. "Aggregation, expectations, and the explanation of technological change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 213-236.
- Craig S. Hakkio & Mark Rush, 1990.
"Cointegration: how short is the long run?,"
Research Working Paper
90-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Nair-Reichert, Usha & Weinhold, Diana, 2001. " Causality Tests for Cross-Country Panels: A New Look at FDI and Economic Growth in Developing Countries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(2), pages 153-71, May.
- Qinghua Liu & C. Richard Shumway, 2006. "Geographic aggregation and induced innovation in American agriculture," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(6), pages 671-682.
- Hongil Lim & C. Richard Shumway, 1997. "Technical Change and Model Specification: U.S. Agricultural Production," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 543-554.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea06:21089. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.