Modelling technical change in Italian agriculture: a latent variable approach
This paper presents an alternative approach to the measurement of technical change. It is based on the latent variable level of technology that enters explicitly the input demand system and on a hypothesis about the innovation generating process. By adding measurement error equations, the behavioral system can be viewed as a Multiple Indicators/Multiple Causes (MIMIC) model. The parameter estimates are obtained with a maximum likelihood estimator which involves the implicit covariance matrix. The analysis refers to Italian agriculture and the results provide some evidence on the nature and level of technical change during the years 1961-1991. © 2000 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Plosser, Charles I. & Schwert*, G. William, 1978. "Money, income, and sunspots: Measuring economic relationships and the effects of differencing," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 637-660, November.
- Nadiri, M.I. & Prucha, I.R., 1993.
"Estimation of the Depreciation Rate of Physical and R&D Capital in the U.S. Total Manufacturing Sector,"
93-47, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Nadiri, M Ishaq & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1996. "Estimation of the Depreciation Rate of Physical and R&D Capital in the U.S. Total Manufacturing Sector," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(1), pages 43-56, January.
- M. Ishaq Nadiri & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1993. "Estimation of the Depreciation Rate of Physical and R&D Capital in the U.S. Total Manufacturing Sector," NBER Working Papers 4591, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jorge Fernandez-Cornejo & C. Richard Shumway, 1997. "Research and Productivity in Mexican Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 738-753.
- Alston, Julian M. & Marra, Michele C. & Pardey, Philip G. & Wyatt, T.J., 2000.
"Research returns redux: a meta-analysis of the returns to agricultural R&D,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 44(2), June.
- Alston, Julian M. & Marra, Michele C. & Pardey, Philip G. & Wyatt, T. J., 1998. "Research returns redux: a meta-analysis of the returns to agricultural R&D," EPTD discussion papers 38, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- J. Stephen Clark & Curtis E. Youngblood, 1992. "Estimating Duality Models with Biased Technical Change: A Time Series Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(2), pages 353-360.
- William A. Barnett, 1979. "Theoretical Foundations for the Rotterdam Model," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 109-130.
- Alston, Julian M. & Craig, Barbara J. & Pardey, Philip G., 1998. "Dynamics in the creation and depreciation of knowledge, and the returns to research:," EPTD discussion papers 35, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Aigner, Dennis J. & Deistler, Manfred, 1989. "Latent variables models : Editors' introduction," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 1-3, May.
- Selvanathan, E. Antony, 1989. "Advertising and consumer demand: a differential approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 215-219, December.
- Chambers,Robert G., 1988. "Applied Production Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314275, December.
- Kuroda, Yoshimi, 1997. "Research and extension expenditures and productivity in Japanese agriculture, 1960-1990," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 16(2), May.
- Kuroda, Yoshimi, 1997. "Research and extension expenditures and productivity in Japanese agriculture, 1960-1990," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 111-124, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agecon:v:22:y:2000:i:3:p:261-270. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.