Understanding Linkages among Food Availability, Access, Consumption, and Nutrition in Africa: Empirical Findings and Issues from the Literature
This paper starts with the unsurprising observations that (1) having enough food available at national and local levels is necessary but not sufficient for ensuring that households have adequate access to food; (2) having adequate household access to food is necessary but not sufficient for ensuring that all household members consume an adequate diet; and (3) consuming an adequate diet is necessary but not sufficient for maintaining a healthy nutritional status. Recognizing that the links from food availability to access to consumption to nutritional status are not automatic, the challenge for policy makers and analysts concerned with achieving food and nutrition security is to understand how these variables are linked to one another, how closely they are related in various contexts, and what the important intervening variables are which affect the linkages among these variables. Unfortunately, however, our ability to understand the nature and extent of the relationships among these variables in detail has been hampered by a lack of information as well as by concerns over the appropriateness of the analytical approaches and indicators that have been used in empirical studies of these issues.
|Date of creation:||1994|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture, 446 West Circle Dr., Rm 202, East Lansing, MI 48824-1039|
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maurice Schiff & Alberto Valdés, 1990. "Poverty, Food Intake, and Malnutrition: Implications for Food Security in Developing Countries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1318-1322.
- Sarma, J. S. & Gandhi, Vasant P., 1990. "Production and consumption of foodgrains in India: implications of accelerated economic growth and poverty alleviation," Research reports 81, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Kennedy, Eileen T. & Cogill, Bruce, 1987. "Income and nutritional effects of the commercialization of agriculture in southwestern Kenya:," Research reports 63, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Rogers, Beatrice Lorge & Lowdermilk, Melanee, 1991. "Price policy and food consumption in urban Mali," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 461-473, December.
- Sudhir Anand & Martin Ravallion, 1993. "Human Development in Poor Countries: On the Role of Private Incomes and Public Services," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(1), pages 133-150, Winter.
- Schiff, Maurice & Valdes, Alberto, 1990. "Nutrition: Alternative Definitions and Policy Implications," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(2), pages 281-292, January.
- Weber, Michael T. & Staatz, John M. & Holtzman, John S. & Crawford, Eric W. & Bernsten, Richard H., 1988.
"Informing Food Security Decisions in Africa: Empirical Analysis and Policy Dialogue,"
200969, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Michael T. Weber & John M. Staatz & Eric W. Crawford & Richard H. Bernsten & John S. Holtzman, 1988. "Informing Food Security Decisions in Africa: Empirical Analysis and Policy Dialogue," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 70(5), pages 1044-1052.
- Pitt, Mark M & Rosenzweig, Mark R & Hassan, Md Nazmul, 1990.
"Productivity, Health, and Inequality in the Intrahousehold Distribution of Food in Low-Income Countries,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1139-1156, December.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Hassan, Md. Nazmul, 1989. "Productivity, Health and Inequality in the Intrahousehold Distribution of Food in Low-Income Countries," Bulletins 7480, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1990. "Income Effects on Undernutrition," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(3), pages 489-515, April.
- Jayne, T. S. & Rubey, Lawrence, 1993. "Maize milling, market reform and urban food security: The case of Zimbabwe," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 975-987, June.
- Hoddinott, J. & Haddad, L., 1991. "Household Expenditures, Child Anthropometric Status and the Intrahousehold Division of Income: Evidence from the Cote d'Ivoire," Papers 155, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Kennedy, Eileen & Haddad, Lawrence, 1992. "Food security and nutrition, 1971-91 : Lessons learned and future priorities," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 2-6, February.
- Behrman, Jere R & Deolalikar, Anil B, 1987. "Will Developing Country Nutrition Improve with Income? A Case Study for Rural South India," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 492-507, June.
- Bouis, Howarth E. & Haddad, Lawrence James, 1990. "Effects of agricultural commercialization on land tenure, household resource allocation, and nutrition in the Philippines:," Research reports 79, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Behrman, Jere R. & Wolfe, Barbara L., 1987. "How does mother's schooling affect family health, nutrition, medical care usage, and household sanitation?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 185-204.
- Schiff, Maurice & Valdes, Alberto, 1990. "The link between poverty and malnutrition : a household theoretic approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 536, The World Bank.
- Jayne, T. S. & Chisvo, Munhamo, 1991. "Unravelling Zimbabwe's food insecurity paradox: Implications for grain market reform in Southern Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 319-329, August.
- Hussain, M. A., 1990. "Nutrition policy and the urban poor in developing countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 186-192, June.
- Strauss, John, 1984. "Joint determination of food consumption and production in rural Sierra Leone : Estimates of a household-firm model," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 77-103.
- Garcia, Marito & Pinstrup-Andersen, Per, 1987. "The pilot food price subsidy scheme in the Philippines: its impact on income, food consumption, and nutritional status," Research reports 61, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Senauer, Benjamin, 1990. "Household behaviour and nutrition in developing countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 408-417, October.
- Tschirley, David L. & Weber, Michael T., 1994. "Food security strategies under extremely adverse conditions: The determinants of household income and consumption in rural Mozambique," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 159-173, February.
- Jayne, T. S. & Rukuni, Mandivamba, 1993. "Distributional effects of maize self-sufficiency in Zimbabwe: Implications for pricing and trade policy," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 334-341, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:midiwp:54707. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.