The link between poverty and malnutrition : a household theoretic approach
Past studies have identified nutrition exclusively with nutrient intake. A better definition of nutrition would critically affect the link between poverty and malnutrition and would affect the implications for policies designed to improve the nutritional status of the poor. This paper focuses on the relationship between household income and their nutritional and health status. It presents new evidence on these interactions and suggests a framework for the analysis ofthe interactions between income transfers, the publicly provided inputs, and the household's response, as reflected in the effect on nutrition and health. Such framework can be applied in the evaluation of public policies designed to reduce malnutrition and improve the health status among the poor in urban and rural areas.
|Date of creation:||30 Nov 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garcia, Marito & Pinstrup-Andersen, Per, 1987. "The pilot food price subsidy scheme in the Philippines: its impact on income, food consumption, and nutritional status," Research reports 61, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Shah, C H, 1983. "Food Preference, Poverty, and the Nutrition Gap," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(1), pages 121-48, October.
- Behrman, Jere R. & Deolalikar, Anil B., 1988. "Health and nutrition," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 14, pages 631-711 Elsevier.
- McCarthy, F. Desmond, 1977. "Food consumption, income distribution and quality effects," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 79-82, February.
- Krueger, Anne O & Schiff, Maurice & Valdes, Alberto, 1988. "Agricultural Incentives in Developing Countries: Measuring the Effect of Sectoral and Economywide Policies," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 2(3), pages 255-71, September.
- Balassa, Bela, 1988. "Incentive policies and agricultural performance in sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 77, The World Bank.
- Schiff, Maurice & Valdes, Alberto, 1990. "Nutrition: Alternative Definitions and Policy Implications," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(2), pages 281-92, January.
- Behrman, Jere R & Deolalikar, Anil B, 1987. "Will Developing Country Nutrition Improve with Income? A Case Study for Rural South India," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 492-507, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:536. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.