Regionalism And Trade In Agrifood Products
The objective of this paper is to provide quantitative information on the degree of regionalism in raw and processed agrifood trade and the trends in regional trading patterns between 1965 and 1994. The analysis shows that world agrifood trade is currently more regionalized than it was in the second half of the 1960's and is moving towards even more regional concentration. However, for processed agrifood products, increasing regionalism is a dimension of growing openness and multilateral interdependence. Conversely, for raw products the pattern of regionalism has been significantly affected by domestic and trade policies, with welfare losses borne mainly by the European Union and other exporting regions.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meilke, Karl D. & Lariviere, Sylvain, 1999. "The Problems And Pitfalls In Modeling International Dairy Trade Liberalization," Working Papers 14579, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Meilke, Karl D. & Sarker, Rakhal, 1997.
"Four case studies of agri-food CVDs and a proposal for reforming national administered protection agencies,"
Blackwell, vol. 17(2-3), pages 147-164, December.
- Meilke, Karl D. & Sarker, Rakhal, 1997. "Four case studies of agri-food CVDs and a proposal for reforming national administered protection agencies," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 17(2-3), December.
- Josling, Timothy E., 1993. "Agriculture In A World Of Trading Blocs," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 37(03), December.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1988.
"Measures of Openness,"
in: Trade Policy Issues and Empirical Analysis, pages 145-204
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dimitrios G. Demekas & Kasper Bartholdy & Sanjeev Gupta & Leslie Lipschitz & Thomas Mayer, 1988. "The Effects of the Common Agricultural Policy of the European Community: A Survey of the Literature," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(2), pages 113-145, December.
- Josling, Timothy E., 1993. "Agriculture in a World of Trading Blocs," 1993 Conference (37th), February 9-11, 1993, Sydney, Australia 147398, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Balassa, Bela, 1974. "Trade Creation and Trade Diversion in the European Common Market: An Appraisal of the Evidence," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 42(2), pages 93-135, June.
- Perkins, Dwight H. & Syrquin, Moshe, 1989. "Large countries: The influence of size," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 32, pages 1691-1753 Elsevier.
- Josling, Timothy E. & Honma, Masayoshi & Lee, Jaeok & MacLaren, Donald & Miner, William M. & Sumner, Daniel A. & Tangermann, Stefan & Valdes, Alberto, 1994. "The Uruguay Round Agreement On Agriculture: An Evaluation," Commissioned Papers 14621, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Karl Meilke & Erna Duren, 1996. "The North American Free Trade Agreement and the Canadian Agri-Food Sector," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 44(1), pages 19-37, 03.
- Robinson, Sherman & Thierfelder, Karen, 2002.
"Trade liberalisation and regional integration: the search for large numbers,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 46(4), December.
- Robinson, Sherman & Thierfelder, Karen, 1999. "Trade liberalization and regional integration: the search for large numbers," TMD discussion papers 34, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Kemp, Murray C. & Wan, Henry Jr., 1976. "An elementary proposition concerning the formation of customs unions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 95-97, February.
- Carsten Kowalczyk, 1992. "Paradoxes in integration theory," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 51-59, February.
- Anderson, Kym & Norheim, Hege, 1993. "Is World Trade Becoming More Regionalized?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 91-109, June.
- Drysdale, Peter & Garnaut, Ross, 1982. "Trade Intensities and the Analysis of Bilateral Trade Flows in a Many-Country World : A Survey," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 22(2), pages 62-84, February.
- Hertel, Thomas, 1997. "Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and applications," GTAP Books, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University, number 7685, March.
- Valdes, Alberto, 1995. "Joining an Existing Regional Trade Agreement: Issues and Policies from the Perspective of a Small Open Economy in Latin America," 1995: Economic Integration in the Western Hemisphere Symposium, June 7-9, 1995, San Jose, Costa Rica 50807, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iatrwp:14591. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.