How Do World Agricultural Commodity Price Spikes Affect The Income Distribution In Israel?
We assess the distributional effects of the transmission of world market price shocks for the highly import dependent economy of Israel. We combine a CGE simulation with an empirical cointegration analysis for assessing the direction and extent of the connectedness of Israeli and world market prices. The Israeli and the world market for wheat are found to be integrated. Price shocks are completely transmitted from the world market to the domestic Israeli market. We find negative effects on the amount of domestic household income, on consumption and on welfare. Regressive expenditure effects dominate progressive income effects so that the resulting domestic income distribution appears to be more unequal.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bundesallee 50, 38116 Braunschweig|
Phone: 0531 / 596 5501
Fax: 0531 / 596 5599
Web page: http://www.gewisola.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meyer, Jochen & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2002.
"Asymmetric Price Transmission: A Survey,"
2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain
24822, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Siddig, Khalid & Grethe, Harald, 2014.
"International price transmission in CGE models: How to reconcile econometric evidence and endogenous model response?,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 12-22.
- Siddig, Khalid H.A. & Grethe, Harald, 2012. "International Price Transmission In Cge Models: How To Reconcile Econometric Evidence And Endogenous Model Response?," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 137388, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 1999.
"Spatial Market Integration In The Presence Of Threshold Effects,"
1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN
21489, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Barry K. Goodwin & Nicholas E. Piggott, 2001. "Spatial Market Integration in the Presence of Threshold Effects," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 302-317.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Tom Doan, . "KPSS: RATS procedure to perform KPSS (Kwiatowski, Phillips, Schmidt, and Shin) stationarity test," Statistical Software Components RTS00100, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Cudjoe, Godsway & Breisinger, Clemens & Diao, Xinshen, 2008.
"Local impacts of a global crisis: Food price transmission and poverty impacts in Ghana,"
IFPRI discussion papers
842, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Cudjoe, Godsway & Breisinger, Clemens & Diao, Xinshen, 2008. "Local impacts of a global crisis: Food price transmission and poverty impacts in Ghana," GSSP working papers 15, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Cudjoe, Godsway & Breisinger, Clemens & Diao, Xinshen, 2009. "Local Impacts of a Global Crisis - Food Price Transmission and Poverty Impacts in Ghana," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51089, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, December.
- Ivanic, Maros & Martin, Will, 2008. "Implications of higher global food prices for poverty in low-income countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4594, The World Bank.
- Nicita, Alessandro, 2005. "Multilateral trade liberalization and Mexican households : the effect of the Doha development agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3707, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:gewi12:137154. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.