Are the Mediterranean countries competitive in fresh fruit and vegetable exports?
The Barcelona Agreement was signed in 1995, setting forth a structure with bilateral agreements between the EU and twelve Mediterranean countries. The agreement also foresaw the creation of a free trade area in the Euro-Mediterranean region by 2010. For many of the countries surrounding the Mediterranean sea, fruit and vegetables are very important products. In light of the increasing trade liberalization and thus increasing competition between countries, this paper aims to investigate further the competitiveness of Mediterranean countries with respect to fresh fruit and vegetables. The results generally show that the competitiveness of the investigated countries has deteriorated over the period. In only two cases, there is an increase in competitiveness.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angela Cheptea & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2004.
"The World Market: Market Shares and Export Performances,"
La Lettre du CEPII,
CEPII research center, issue 231.
- Angela Cheptea & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2005. "World Trade Competitiveness: A Disaggregated View by Shift-Share Analysis," Working Papers 2005-23, CEPII research center.
- Ricardo C. Gazel & R. Keith Schwer, 1998. "Growth of International Exports among the States: Can a Modified Shift-Share Analysis Explain it?," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 21(2), pages 185-204, August.
- Kuiper, Marijke H. & Dell'Aquila, Crescenzo, 2004. "Euro-Mediterranean Partnership; State Of Affairs And Key Policy And Research Issues," Report Series 29122, Agricultural Economics Research Institute.
- Merkies, A H Q M & van der Meer, T, 1988. "A Theoretical Foundation for Constant Market Share Analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 65-80.
- Álvarez-Coque, José María García & Bautista, Romeo M., 1994.
"Sources of EC horticultural import growth from developing countries,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 10(2), April.
- Alvarez-Coque, Jose Maria Garcia & Bautista, Romeo M., 1994. "Sources of EC horticultural import growth from developing countries," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 125-141, April.
- JosÈ-MarÌa GarcÌa-Alvarez-Coque, 2002. "Agricultural trade and the Barcelona Process: is full liberalisation possible?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(3), pages 399-422, July.
- L. R. Rigaux, 1971. "Market Share Analysis Applied To Canadian Wheat Exports," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 19(1), pages 22-34, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae98:10063. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.