Constant market shares analysis: uses, limitations and prospects
In this paper, we generalise the constant market shares (CMS) framework, with particular attention to the underlying theoretical conditions required for diagnostic interpretation. The approach is applied to the analysis of the export performance of the Australian processed food sector in South-East Asia over the period 1980–2003. We conclude that the usefulness of CMS analysis for evaluating a country’s international trade performance depends upon the empirical validity of the aggregation assumptions implicit in the diagnostic interpretation.
Volume (Year): 50 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francisco J. MartÎn-âlvarez & Victor J. Cano-FernÂndez & JosÊ J. CÂceres-HernÂndez, 1999. "The introduction of seasonal unit roots and cointegration to test index aggregation optimality: An application to a Spanish farm price index," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 403-414.
- Richardson, J David, 1971. "Some Sensitivity Tests for a 'Constant-Market-Shares' Analysis of Export Growth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(3), pages 300-04, August.
- Jung, Chulho & Krutilla, Kerry, 1998. "Aggregation bias in natural resource price composites: the forestry case," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Ahmadi-Esfahani, Fredoun Z., 1995. "Wheat market shares in the presence of Japanese import quotas," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 315-323, June.
- S. E. Pudney, 1981. "An Empirical Method of Approximating the Separable Structure of Consumer Preferences," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(4), pages 561-577.
- Ahmadi-Esfahani, Fredoun Z. & Jensen, Paul H., 1994.
"Impact of the US-EC price war on major wheat exporters' shares of the Chinese market,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 10(1), January.
- Ahmadi-Esfahani, Fredoun Z. & Jensen, Paul H., 1994. "Impact of the US-EC price war on major wheat exporters' shares of the Chinese market," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 61-70, January.
- Richardson, J. David, 1971. "Constant-market-shares analysis of export growth," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 227-239, May.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Lee, Tae-Hwy, 1998.
"Pitfalls in testing for long run relationships,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 129-154, June.
- Peter Drysdale & Weiguo Lu, 1996. "Australia's Export Performance in East Asia," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 259, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Jan Fagerberg & Gunnar Sollie, 1987. "The method of constant market shares analysis reconsidered," Working Papers Archives 1987001, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aareaj:116983. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.