Biophysical Modelling and Performance Measurement
Agricultural production, by its nature, impacts both positively and negatively on the environment. Impacts can be point source or diffuse; however all should be considered in performance measurement. To estimate potential environmental impacts from the use of nitrogen fertilizer, a biophysical model of dairy grazing systems, DairyMod, is used to simulate individual farming practices and determine the likely extent of leaching and run-off from each farm. Although not the only environmental impacts of farming, leaching and run-off are two variables that can be measured and combined with other marketed inputs to determine farm performance.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ball, V. Eldon & Lovell, C.A. Knox & Luu, H. & Nehring, Richard F., 2004. "Incorporating Environmental Impacts in the Measurement of Agricultural Productivity Growth," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(03), December.
- Carmen Fernandez & Gary Koop & Mark F.J. Steel, 2002.
"Multiple-Output Production With Undesirable Outputs: An Application to Nitrogen Surplus in Agriculture,"
0201001, EconWPA, revised 06 Jan 2002.
- Fernandez C. & Koop G. & Steel M.F.J., 2002. "Multiple-Output Production With Undesirable Outputs: An Application to Nitrogen Surplus in Agriculture," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 432-442, June.
- Carmen Fernandez & Gary Koop & Mark F J Steel, 2004. "Multiple-output production with undesirable output: An application to nitrogen surplus in agriculture," ESE Discussion Papers 34, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Just, Richard E & Antle, John M, 1990. "Interactions between Agricultural and Environmental Policies: A Conceptual Framework," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 197-202, May.
- Ewert, Frank & van Ittersum, Martin K. & Bezlepkina, Irina V. & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. & Andersen, Erling & Brouwer, Floor M. & Flichman, Guillermo & Heckelei, Thomas & Alkan Olsson, Johanna & Ol, 2006. "Methodological concepts for integrated assessment of agricultural and environmental policies in SEAMLESS-IF," Reports 57465, SEAMLESS: System for Environmental and Agricultural Modelling, Linking European Science and Society.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che, 2006.
"Technology choice and efficiency on Australian dairy farms ,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(1), pages 65-83, 03.
- Kompas, Tom & Che, Tuong Nhu, 2006. "Technology choice and efficiency on Australian dairy farms," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(1), March.
- Doucouliagos, Hristos & Hone, Phillip, 2000. "Deregulation and Subequilibrium in the Australian Dairy Processing Industry," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 76(233), pages 152-62, June.
- Tim Coelli & Ludwig Lauwers & Guido Huylenbroeck, 2007. "Environmental efficiency measurement and the materials balance condition," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 3-12, October.
- Robert D. Weaver, 1998. "Measuring Productivity of Environmentally Interactive Technologies: The Case of Agriculture and the Environment," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 595-599.
- Fraser, Iain & Graham, Mary, 2005. "Efficiency Measurement of Australian Dairy Farms: National and Regional Performance," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 13.
- Skop, E. & Schou, J. S., 1999. "Modeling the effects of agricultural production. An integrated economic and environmental analysis using farm account statistics and GIS," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 427-442, June.
- Reinhard, Stijn & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Thijssen, Geert J., 2000. "Environmental efficiency with multiple environmentally detrimental variables; estimated with SFA and DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 287-303, March.
- Tisdell, Clement A., 2005.
Economics, Ecology and Environment Working Papers
55063, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Gibbons, James M. & Sparkes, Debbie L. & Wilson, Paul & Ramsden, Stephen J., 2005. "Modelling optimal strategies for decreasing nitrate loss with variation in weather - a farm-level approach," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 113-134, February.
- Lansink, Alfons Oude & Reinhard, Stijn, 2004. "Investigating technical efficiency and potential technological change in Dutch pig farming," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 353-367, March.
- Meyer-Aurich, Andreas, 2005. "Economic and environmental analysis of sustainable farming practices - a Bavarian case study," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 190-206, November.
- Fraser, I. & Cordina, D., 1999. "An application of data envelopment analysis to irrigated dairy farms in Northern Victoria, Australia," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 267-282, March.
- Stijn Reinhard & C.A. Knox Lovell & Geert Thijssen, 1999. "Econometric Estimation of Technical and Environmental Efficiency: An Application to Dutch Dairy Farms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 44-60.
- Edwards, Geoff W., 2003. "The story of deregulation in the dairy industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 47(1), March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare08:6773. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.